Following the Barkers

Following the Barkers

Sunday, November 3, 2013

Friday November 1, 2031, Lake City, FL

I was up and around by 7 AM.  I wanted to be ready to roll as soon as the Tech, Steve, got the Jacks up.  Steve and a helper arrived a little after 8.  When he tried the leveling jacks the motor on the top of the hydraulic fluid tank smoked before blowing the fuse.  After a couple of times on the phone with Power Gear they finally got the jacks up.  In with a new fuse and the Slides and steps worked.

We left the park at 11:20.  Later than we had planned.  Since we were late in leaving I decided to on the Florida Turnpike. Gerri and her Mom took the Jeep and drove to Mount Dora to visit with their cousin Kaye and family.  We met up later in the RV Park in Lake City.

All of our problems were not fixed.  The rear and side view cameras have been out since Hilton Head.  I had no display on the R5000 and couldn't change the radio station.  After awhile that went off too.  As it warmed up I tried to turn on the dash air.  It was a no go.  The new fuse had blow, so the motor on the leveling system is not all the problem.  Of course I knew that because the left turn signal blinked constantly.  I know that a lot of people that passed me were saying unkind things about drivers (like me) not tuning off the turn signals.

I stopped at one of the service plaza and bought a Coke and some beef jerky.  I had left Margate with an apple, a cup of coffee and a bottle of water which were long gone.  I stopped one more time at a truck stop to see if they had any of the 150 amp fuses, no luck.  At both the stops I had no steps  and had to sit on the bottom step inside to motorhome so my feet would reach the ground.

I got to the RV Park at 5:30.  In order to get the slides and step out I used a jumper cable to bypass the blown fuse.  Gerri and Neva got to the RV Park at 8 PM.

We skipped supper and had cheese, crackers, some dip and apple slices.

I went to bed at 11 PM.


Kaye and Dick




Kaye, Marcia, Neva, Makayla, Gerri


Side note from Gerri:  It took about 3 hours to reach Mt. Dora from Margate and had no problems finding the house. They had a nice visit with Kaye and Dick and some other cousins came by, Marcia and her daughter, Makayla.  We last saw them 9 years ago for Dick's 80th birthday.  Michaela is now 17 and a beauty.  She loves horses and rescued one 1 year and a half ago.  After 2 hours they left Mt Dora and reached Lake City around 8pm. 

No comments:

Post a Comment