Following the Barkers

Following the Barkers

Sunday, September 30, 2012

Saturday, September 29, 2012, Columbus, MS


Saturday, September 29, 2012, Columbus, MS
This morning I had to walk the ½ mile to the park entrance to get the Jeep.  We were locked out last night.  They lock the gate at 10:00 and we didn’t get back until 10:30.
After having coffee I decided that I needed to find a geocache large enough to hold some travel bugs I have been carrying around.  The second one I found was a Travel Bug hotel, since we aren’t going further east, I dropped them all.  I did six caches in all.
A funny thing happened on the way to one of the caches.  I topped a rise, downhill and ahead on the highway I saw blue lights blinking.  Since there were vehicles on the road, I thought accident.  I made my u-turn and remember thinking that my turning around might appear to be suspicious.  I turned off at the road at a windmill.  Since I didn't see any no trespassing or keep out signs, I drove on toward the cache. (I hadn't read the cache details about parking off the property.) As I came around the back of the high grass I saw a State Police car in front of me and one in the back.  I kept my hands on the steering wheel until one of the policeman approached and told me to turn off the engine and get out.   The lead officer asked what I was doing.  I told him a little about geocaching.  He asked if I had come all the way to Mississippi from Nevada to geocache.  Apparently he had heard of it and said OK, go ahead and find it.  With my long list of DNFs, I thought I may really be in trouble now.  Fortunately we were standing about 8' from the cache and I pointed it out quickly.  My earlier thoughts about having made a suspicious move were confirmed.  They were looking for someone and were running a road block checking all vehicles.  I apologized to them for causing them concern and we chatted for awhile about my police background and law enforcement in general.  When I got back on the road they were back at their road block, I turned the other way.
While caching I had a couple of twinges in my right knee.  When I got out of the Jeep back at the coach it was really stiff and painful.  I used a cane most of the evening.
Medicare Card - lol
Back at the coach I got cleaned up and we headed for Gerri’s Class 65th Birthday Party about 3:30pm.  It was held at a barn and a camp house in back of an old house just outside Columbus.  It was pot luck and there was plenty of good food to be had.  Besides eating, Gerri visited with various classmates.  The group sang Happy Birthday to themselves and then served cake.  The cake was a facsimile of a Social Security card.  A lot of pictures were taken and they tried a group shot.  There were about 100 people in attendance.  We left the party at 7:30 and were back at the RV Park in plenty of time to avoid being locked out.


No comments:

Post a Comment