Following the Barkers

Following the Barkers

Monday, September 24, 2012

Monday, September 24, 2012, Columbus, MS


Monday, September 24, 2012, Columbus, MS


 


 

Monday, September 24, 2012, Columbus, MS
Where we are parked
This getting up early is becoming too much of a habit. I was up before 7 and fixed coffee. I checked my e-mail and before I knew it Gerri was up too. We didn't have a lot to do before starting, since we didn't unhook the Jeep and only hooked up shore power. Yesterday when Gerri ran down the front shade it came off track, this morning I had no problem with them this morning. I did have to air up two tires that were giving a low air pressure message. We were underway by 9:10. Our route for today was east on I-20 to Jackson, MS and then north on I-55 to US-82. In Jackson the Gremlin went crazy and took us in a circle on some city streets. Back on I-55 the GPS kept telling me to turn around and go south. I turned off the routing and chose the same destination and then it showed us headed the right way. The GPS has had us take some funny turns before but never like this. After reaching Columbus we turned north on US-45 to state route 373. I had stopped in Columbus to check the turns in the GPS with directions I had received from a camp host last week. They matched so we pressed on. No one was at the check in station so we chose Site 32 because of TV reception and the view of the water. The downside was this site had no sewer connection. If we aren't conservative we may have to visit to the dump station before we leave. I really don't like to have to move once we are set up. Not that it's a lot of work, just an inconvenience.
Sunset along the Tombigbee
Today we drove 309 miles mostly on interstate and four lane divided highway. We got from Monroe, LA to the campsite and set up by 4 PM. The check in station was open between 4 and 5 PM, so I went there and paid our fees. The campsite is usually $18.00 but with my Golden Age Passport that was cut in half. Sometimes being old has it's advantages.

Here we are parked in a beautiful spot along the Tombigbee - Tennessee Waterway. I saw a white Herron across the river and took a picture with Gerri's camera. It was too far for her lens. I got my Nikon out but the battery was dead. Hopefully the bird will be back sometime this week.
I cleaned the inside of the Jeep as well as I could without a vacuum. Gerri has a luncheon in town tomorrow, so I hope to get the Jeep cleaned up before she leaves.

An Arial version of the map
Yesterday we had tacos from a stand that claimed to serve the best tacos in Texas. Well we are no longer in Texas, but for dinner we had what had to be the best tacos in Mississippi. Gerri grilled salmon with a side of cabbage, onions and tomatoes, plus toppings of spicy ranch dressing and salsa.

No comments:

Post a Comment