Following the Barkers

Following the Barkers

Saturday, September 29, 2012

Friday, September 28, 2012, Columbus, MS


Friday, September 28, 2012, Columbus, MS
These acorns are shown about life size.
We slept in this morning and after getting up I fixed the coffee. While we drank our coffee we caught up on e-mail.
Our campsite is surrounded by oak trees and there are acorns falling off the trees constantly.  When they hit the roof of the coach it is a loud snap.  I have seen them fall on the picnic table and they bounce about two feet off the wood.  They are only 1/4 to 3/8" but make a large noise when they hit.


Acorns littering the ground





At 1:00 I went caching. I found six and didn't find one. I still have some travel bugs that I need to drop off, but none of the caches I have found have been large enough.
We met some of Gerri's classmates at a restaurant called Tampico in Columbus. It was good Mexican food but the service was very strange. They served salsa in a squeeze bottle, I ask for a small bowl which I never got. Those that wanted something to drink were asked for their credit card to hold until the end of dinner. I don't think anyone went for that and the waitress asked what was wrong with holding the card. I guess she can't spell "credit card fraud." She said something about having to pay cash when we were finished. I ignored that and presented my card when the bill came.
Danny Kinard
There was a band playing near our table area so after dinner we went to the lobby of the Holiday Inn for conversation. That broke up about 10:15 and we headed for the coach. There was some wispy fog along the road and as we turned into the park I remembered that there was a sign that the gates close at 10:00 PM and open at 6:00 AM. Sure enough we got to the gate house and the arms were down blocking the way. Seeing no other recourse we parked the Jeep and walked the ½ mile to the coach. There was a full moon but the light was filtered through the trees so it was a dark walk until we got to the area where the RVs are parked. Twice I thought I heard Banjo Music and walked faster.



Maro and Rick Manning

Parks and Bev Mitchell





























Back at the coach we caught up on computer time and went to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment