Following the Barkers

Following the Barkers

Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Monday, September 3, 2012, South Fork, CO


Monday, September 3, 2012, South Fork, CO
The San Juan River
Alan came by this morning and invited us to go to lunch with him at Tequila's Mexican Restaurant in Pagosa Springs.
We left Fun Valley at about 10:30am. It's about 45 miles to Pagosa Springs and the route is back the way we came to South Fork last week, US-160 over Wolf Creek Pass. It's quite a bit faster in Alan's Jeep than in the motorhome.
We sat outside at Tequila's overlooking the San Juan River and the hot springs on the other side. The food was excellent and plenty of it. Between the people in the river and along the walk beside it we had a good time people watching.
Alan and his lunch, he only ate halg that.
On the way back to Fun Valley we stopped at one geocache just outside the Riverview RV Park.
Gerri's lunch
Back at fun Valley we parted company with Alan and I went caching. I did two a traditional at the Big Meadow Reservoir and a virtual at Treasure Falls. For the cache at Treasure Falls I drove over the hill from South Fork toward Pagosa Springs. I parked where my Jeep GPSR showed a straight line to the cache. My handheld showed .16 miles to the cache. I found a sign that said Falls Trail, but it had another sign that said trail closed. I gave up and erased the cache and drove up to the rest rooms. Of course once I got there, I saw the real Falls Trail with a map showing Misty Deck. I headed up the trail figuring I could find a sign easily enough. By the time I reached the turnoff to an overlook my knees and feet were protesting. I was ready to hire a fellow hiker to go ahead and get the required information and bring it back. But no one came along. I got to Misty Deck and the sign there had no numbers on it. I took pictures of the falls and backtracked to the last turn off. I found the sign with the answer required to claim the cache and headed back down. Straight line the distance to the cache may have been .16 miles, but as the feet meet the trail it was probably twice as far. On the way up I had to brake for a woolly worm and later a small snake crossing the path.
Treasure Falls
Since we had a big lunch we only had tuna fish sandwiches for supper.






 

No comments:

Post a Comment