Following the Barkers

Following the Barkers

Saturday, September 1, 2012

Friday, August 31, 2012, South Fork, CO


Friday, August 31, 2012, South Fork, CO
We woke up this morning to cloudy skies. We also woke up to the water tank overflowing again. Back to the drawing boards on this problem.
We left Monticello at 10:00 AM. We went south on US-191 a short distance to US-491 and then on to Cortez, CO. In Cortez we turned east on US-160 toward Durango. The last time we were in Durango, I participated in a bike race called the Iron Horse Classic. The ride went from Durango to Silverton. It was about 50 miles and went over two 10,000+' passes. The premise of the race was to leave Durango at the same time as the train to Silverton and beat it there. I had reservations to ride the train back to Durango from Silverton. But the train knocked me in the dirt. The ride took me 5 hours and 20 minutes and the train had gone back to Durango before I got to Silverton. Fortunately Mark Habbeshaw waited until I got to Silverton and gave me a ride back to Durango. This time I was driving a 42' motor home and wasn't headed to Silverton. Instead we continued on US-160 toward Pagosa Springs.
After Pagosa Springs the highway turned up, literally. We headed on toward Wolf Creek Pass. From 7000' to 10800 in about 10 miles. I never dropped below 25 MPH.
Our home away from home in Fun Valley
We arrived at the Fun Valley RV Park at about 3 PM. We wanted to park in Hummingbird Park but were told that was for monthly renters. Even though we had stayed there last year for a week, I didn't argue we were directed to a spot in Aspen Park with 30 amp electric. I checked it out. The site overlooked the South Fork of the Rio Grande and was only a short distance from Hummingbird Park.
After setting up, including putting out the 6'x12' patio carpet, I searched in vain for the large nails I have used to hold the carpet. I guess I took them out at home. I checked the water several times, no apparent problem.
South Fork of the Rio Grande from our site
I called our friend Alan Howeth, who has been here since May and he came over to visit. We spent a while visiting and Alan planned to attend a dance at the big barn. We hadn't had supper so we decided not to go to the dance. I took the information on our site to the office and stopped by the store, they had the tent pegs I needed for 87 cents each.
For supper Gerri fixed Sole Almandine with corn on the cob and a cabbage salad.

After supper we spent time watching TV and on the computer. The computer connection is slow. I still haven't been able to add pictures to this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment