Following the Barkers

Following the Barkers

Saturday, August 31, 2013

Saturday, August 31, 2013, Charleston, WV

We got up, had coffee and left Decatur at 9 AM for the 280 mile trip to Charleston.  We were on US 33 a lot of the way which was sometimes four lane divided highway and sometimes not.  Once in West Virginia we picked up I-77 and headed south to the turn off to the Rippling Waters Church of God Campground.  I had called them yesterday and they assured me they had a spot for me, back-in with 30 amp service.

The Middle Fork road seemed narrower than in the past, we arrived at the park at about 2:30 and checked in.  I then went to check the assigned site.  It was way too short and all grass which was wet from a rain earlier in the day.  It also sloped to one side and I was pretty sure that the jacks wound sink into the soft ground.  The only person working was a teenage girl.  I asked her about another site with a concrete pad that was vacant, she said it was reserved.  I also asked if there was just someplace to park until a site opened up Monday afternoon.  She said no.

 I called a KOA in Huntington and they were also fully booked.  I hooked the Jeep back up and we headed on to Charleston hoping to park overnight at a Walmart or the like. On the way into Charleston, Lottie called Gerri and told her that Eddie had gotten permission to park at a local funeral home and to park by the white picket fence.  As we turned off onto the ramp going to the funeral home Gerri spotted a Cabela's sign.  So we decided to try that.  It was near the Walmart on the highway to South Charleston and more secluded than the Walmart.  The RV parking area had only three spots and all were full and the pavement was on a severe slope.  At the rear of the building was a large, circular area.  I went inside and asked if we could park there overnight and was told it would probably be alright.  I parked so the large slide would be over grass when we extended it.  I left a note on the door with Eddie's phone number in case a problem came up.

We were entertained by deer in Ed's backyard after dinner
After parking we headed to cousin Eddie and Lottie's house. about  11 miles away.  We visited with them and had BBQ sandwiches.  We made plans to return tomorrow after Church and grill rib eye steaks for supper.

We returned to Cabela's at about 9:30.  I put out the large slide and set the genset to automatic.  It was 87 in the coach and humid.  I set the air conditioning units on 80.  The part of the lot where we are parked is secluded enough that no one should be disturbed with the genset running.  It should go off after the air conditioning units don't demand power.  We shall see.  We are also hoping that it cools off enough to sleep with out the A/C units.

No comments:

Post a Comment