Following the Barkers

Following the Barkers

Monday, September 2, 2013

Sunday, September 1, 2013, Charleston, WV

When we went to bed last night I set the genset on auto run and turned the air conditioners off.  When I got up there was still power until I turned on the coffee pot.  The batteries were below 12 volts and wouldn't start the genset.  I used the auxillary start to get the genset running to charge the house batteries. I need to look in the instructions and set the start point higher when there is no a/c demand.

Generally the night here at Cabela's was quite, no cars driving by.  However, the store's gigantic generator came on at 6 AM and ran for half and hour.  I don't know if it was a periodic test or if it does that every night.

Over all we slept pretty good, getting up at about 8 Am.  We had coffee and did our usual computer stuff until time to tune in Church services from Oakey Blvd.  Which we did at 1 PM EDT.

Gerri had put out steaks to thaw last night and the plan was to grill them at Ed and Lottie's for supper.

In my confusion over the site at Rippling Waters, I had forgot that it had been a week since we dumped the holding tanks.  The red light came on the control panel for the rear toilet and it won't flush while that light is on.

Not wanting to drive the 25 or so miles to Rippling Waters to dump I looked for dump stations on the internet.  It listed two, one was at the Elks Lodge and the other at a city park in St. Albans.  The one in St Albans is in a city park.  Since the Elk's Lodge was listed as Members or guests only Eddie and I opted to drive to the city park and check it out.  It is about 15 miles to the to the Park from Ed's house.  It is a nice park along the Kanawha River with a boat launch ramp, picnic shelters, the dump station and three pull through RV sites with 20 Amp power.  There is a limit on stays, 2 nights every two weeks.  One space was open, but since I'm not sure of the weather 20 Amp didn't seem enough.   The distance was pretty far and I decided not to get the motor home and go there to dump, but to wait until we get a full hookup site at Rippling Waters Monday afternoon.

Back at the house Lottie and Gerri got the steaks ready to grill and fixed baked potatoes, peas, homegrown tomatoes from a neighbor and fruit.  The grilling duties fell to me, so dinner was in danger.  I did a pretty good job.  The steaks came out well and we had an enjoyable dinner.

Gerri and I headed back to the coach at 9.  Since I had decided not to move and dump, I made sure the cap was on the sewer hose and opened both valves to equalize the amount in each tank.   I have to remember that and be careful when I do the hookup not to have a nasty spill.

As we did last night we ran the genset and air conditioners until the coach cooled off.  We called it a night a little after 11.


No comments:

Post a Comment