Following the Barkers

Following the Barkers

Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Monday, September 16, 2013, St. Augustine, FL

The Murray Brother's Caddy Shack

We had our coffee and caught up on computer stuff before getting ready to travel.  Gerri got things put away inside, I unhooked and put away the water and sewer hoses and the shore power cord.  I had taken down the flags and stowed the pole last night.  When Gerri retracted the room slides there was a lot of water from Saturday and Sunday's rain, but the big slide went in fine and the awning rolled up properly.  Since this wasn't a pull through site I had to back out onto the street before hooking up the Jeep.  With all that done we pulled away from the Hilton Head Harbor RV Resort at 9:40 with about two hundred and twenty miles to go for the day.

The route was pretty straight forward; US-278 west to I-95, then south  to exit 311 in Florida at SR-207 and the east to the RV Park.  The Indian Forest Campground has an address of 1505 State Route 207.  I have trouble entering addresses that have the highway name, I tried entering several variations of the highway name and number with no success   The campground was in the GPS as a point of interest so I looked the address on my computer map and entered the coordinates from the map.  I figured if that wasn't exact it would at least get me close. 

We stopped at a rest stop before we got through Georgia.  There was no geocache there, so this trip I won't log a Georgia cache.  We were only in Georgia for a short way.

Once we were on Florida SR-207 we watched for but missed the sign at the turn in for the RV Park  We had to go quite a distance before turning on another road and it was a long way down that before we came to a suitable place to turn around.  Gerri called the park and got instructions to turn at the Dollar General store, the park is behind the store.  There was a faded sign at the turn that we had missed going the other way.


The Caddy Shack Greeter
We were registered and set up in our site by 2:30.  Although we didn't pick up as many love bugs between Hilton Head Island and here as we did between Charleston and Hilton Head, I quickly set about removing them.  It was a hard job in the heat.  I was soaked with sweat by the time I finished.  I cooled off and took a shower before it was time to meet Gerri's Egg Hunting friends.

The meeting had been arranged several days ago when Gerri realized how close we would be to them.  We met Mary and Monica at the Murray Brother's Caddy Shack about twenty miles north of the RV Park.  The restaurant is themed after the Caddy Shack movies and of course is on a golf course.


Egg Hunters
After eating I left the ladies to visit and went caching.  I found two, my first ones in Florida since we came through here in 2004.

Tomorrow we plan a two hundred mile drive to Margate, FL, our final destination before our cruise.

Some computer and TV time rounded out the evening and we were in bed about midnight.

1 comment:

  1. Meeting you and Gerri last night was a delight :) Thanks so much for making plans to meet me and Monica.

    Glad to know that you had a fruitful search. Hope that you pass through this area again soon!

    ReplyDelete