Following the Barkers

Following the Barkers

Saturday, September 7, 2013

Friday, September 6, 2013, Stafford, VA

We got up at six and started getting ready to travel while having our coffee and doing computer stuff.  
Our last view of Swan Lake

It was foggy out but not enough to be a hindrance to travel.  We left Rippling Waters at 7:20 and headed out to I-77.  I have always kept the GPS set to avoid toll roads, I changed that for this segment of the trip.  Avoiding the West Virginia Turnpike added 60 miles to the distance and didn't change the travel time by very much.  So I opted for the toll.  We picked up I-64 in Charleston and continued south east.  There were two toll booths on the section we traveled.  When we went to Beckley in the Jeep the toll was $2 at each booth.  I was surprised that with the motor home towing the Jeep was only $3.25.  At prices in this area that is about two gallons of diesel, a better deal than the 8-10 gallons it would have taken to travel the 60 miles to avoid the tolls.  The fog was with us until we passed Beckley, WV, but never was thick enough to cause a problem.
An overlook on I-64 near Charlottesville, VA

We exited West Virginia near Princeton and continued a few miles on I-64 past Charlottesville, VA before turning more north east to pick up I-95 into Fredericksburg and on to Stafford.  The route between I-64 and I-95 was through rolling hills with a lot of historic markers.  Mostly battlefields that we had visited before when I went to school at Quantico.

We arrived at the Aquia Pines Camp Resort at 3:15.  We had traveled 344 miles in a little under 8 hours. I thought this was the same RV Park that Gerri and the kids stayed at when I was at the FBI Academy.  I asked about it at the desk and learned that that campground had been on the other side of I-95 and had long since gone under to other development.

We got setup in site E-13.  I noticed that it wasn't as humid here and only the rear air conditioning unit came on and ran for awhile.  I put out all the awnings to dry, this morning they had all been wet from the fog and dew.

I checked on a few nearby caches and tried one before dark.  It was a puzzle cache and I had no success with it.

Last night Gerri had picked up a roasted chicken at Walmart and we had that along with some cottage cheese and the pasta left over from a few nights ago.  All in all a good satisfying meal and of course left over chicken for later.

We were in bed by 10:15.

No comments:

Post a Comment