Following the Barkers

Following the Barkers

Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Wednesday, September 18, 2013, Margate, FL

It rained off and on during the night.  I got up at 7:30 after the thunder claps got closer together.  I fixed the coffee and watched the rain. It rained hard but not for long.  By 10 there was quite a lot of blue sky showing to the west.  In almost every other direction the sky was black.

This park is large, 645 sites on 104 acres.  All the amenities make it a true resort.  They have everything that a major hotel/resort offers and then some.  www.aztecrvresort.com  The daily rate per site cost is high, but they were the only park in the area that was willing to give us a substantially reduced rate for the time we are on our cruise and not in the coach.  An interesting aspect of this and some other parks in the area that I had called is that when a machine answers the choices are press one for English or two for French.  At this park all the employees I have been in contact with speak English with a heavy French accent.  During the peak season they offer a special pot luck every week where only English is spoken, to make English only speakers feel welcome and at home.  About 65% of the winter occupants are French Canadian snowbirds.  Like I said yesterday, we are alone in this section of the park.  It is quiet, but I don't know how long an inveterate BS'er like me can go without neighbors.

Yesterday when we left Ft. Augustine there was no display on the R5000.  That is the unit in the dash that displays the backup and side view cameras.  It also is the entertainment and information screens.  The only control I had was the radio volume and off and on.  I don't depend on the side view cameras, but really miss seeing directly behind the coach.  I am used to being able to see the Jeep behind us and also being able to see obstacles when backing up.  I plan to take the dash cover off and make sure there are no loose wires or cables.  When it comes to this type of things those are the only first aid I know.  The screw holding the cover on isn't a flat or Phillips head, it is the star shaped head that takes a square head on the screw driver.  I have to wait until it's a little dryer out to get the right tool from my tool box.

No luck finding a tool to take the screw out of the dash cover.  My star drivers were too large and neither metric or English Allen wrenches fit it.  I resorted to mangling the screw head with pliers and finally got it out.  I didn't find any obviously broken or loose wires or cables.  I tried unplugging all the connections but the unit didn't change when I reconnected them.  I also took the unprecedented step of consulting the user's manual, no help there.

In the afternoon we went through our medicines, dietary supplements and toiletries to make sure we had enough for our cruise.  Then it was off to CVS to pick up what we could there.  When we left CVS I got a text from Chase asking if a $###.## charge was valid on my MasterCard.  I guess spending that much at CVS threw up a red flag.

Gerri fixed pork chops, peas and couscous for supper.  After all these years it still amazes me the delicious meals that she can whip up from the simplest of ingredients.  After supper we watched TV and I downloaded some pocket queries of caches around our ports of call that we will make on our cruise.  I looked up the ports on Google Earth and tried to find a cache near the ship dock.  Then centered on that cache I downloaded 500 around it.  Hopefully some of them will be near where we dock.  I want to do at least one cache in each of the countries we visit.  We have 15 ports of call in the 6 counties that the ship visits.  I can only do 5 pocket queries a day so I have spread out the requests.

It rained some more during the evening and we called it a night around 11:30.


No comments:

Post a Comment