Following the Barkers

Following the Barkers

Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Tuesday, August 13, 2013, Charlotte, MI

We were up at 6 AM so that were could be ready for the technician to take the coach in for service at 7.  I had filled out the paper work yesterday.  I went outside to make sure all the slides went in properly.  I had to go back in and get a jacket.  It had rained quite a bit early yesterday evening and there was a lot of water on the slide toppers and as usual the awning on top of the large slide didn't roll up properly.
The Schuler Hotel

Gerri's French Onion Soup
We drove to Lansing at midday to a Quest Diagnostics to have a followup blood draw to check my coumadin level.  My doctor had me adjust my dose after my test in Redding, CA.

Gerri had an exchange with Brenda Boyce, a coworker from the past, who was born and raised in the nearby town of Marshall, MI.  She recommended Schuler's restaurant.

By 3PM we knew that the service on the coach wasn't going to be finished today. The techs here work 7 AM to 3 PM.  After parking and leveling the coach, we decided to go with Brenda's suggestion and drove to Marshall for dinner.  Schuler's is a hotel restaurant run by the same family since 1909.  The original hotel on the site was built in 1892.  The restaurant and hotel have the turn of the century look.  The dining room is large with ornate beams and walls.  There is an adjoining dining area called Winston's that has more of a Pub decor.  Run by the same family, Winston's has pretty much the same menu with more sandwiches and lite fare.

The Winston Brger
Flat bread sticks and cheese were served while we went over the menu. For our dinner we started with soup.  Gerri had French Onion and I had Seafood Chowder.  We both decided to have a burger and fries.  On the menu it is listed as a Winston Burger.  1/3 lb of Angus beef,, strips of bacon, tomato, lettuce and onion served with a tarragon Russian dressing.  We both opted to substitute blue cheese crumbles for the Russian dressing. The fries had some sort of very light batter on them.  Both the burger and fries were delicious.  Since we had the cheese and crackers and soup before the burgers, we only ate half of the burgers.  Guess what is for lunch or dinner tomorrow.

After dinner I tried to find a nearby geocache.  Failing the first one we went a little further away, I did find that one.  Back in Charlotte we relaxed for awhile.  Since it was still light I decided to go for some more geocaches.  I tried the one nearest the Spartan factory.  I didn't find that one but did pick up the next two closest.

While I was logging my finds I got a surprise, a phone call from Ken Beal,  Ken and I had worked together in adult training for Boy Scout leaders.  On the second Wood Badge course I worked he was the Scoutmaster and I was his Senior Patrol Leader.  Ken owns a Newmar coach also built on a Spartan Chassis.  He had been here in Charlotte in June.

We went to bed early, knowing that the tech would be coming for the coach at 7 AM.  Hopefully we will be done by mid morning and get on the road to Celina, OH for the next stage of repair and remodeling.



No comments:

Post a Comment