Following the Barkers

Following the Barkers

Saturday, August 17, 2013

Friday, August 16, 2013, Celina, OH

After making the coffee this morning I drove the Jeep to a dealership nearby for my appointment for oil change and tire rotation.  I walked back to Kevin's just before they moved our couch into the shop.  We used the lounge to catch up on e-mail and Facebook.  We stayed in the lounge until about 10:30.  The internet was so slow Gerri could hardly get anything done.  I walked back to the Jeep dealership and picked up the Jeep.  They pointed out a few other items that needed done.  I made an appointment for Monday afternoon to have some of those addressed.  The biggest thing needing attention is wheel alignment.  There is unusual wear on the tires that were on the front.

I picked Gerri up and we headed for the library.  Yesterday we had a late lunch at La Carretta and didn't have an evening meal, so we decided to go somewhere for breakfast.  We settled on the Pullman Bay Restaurant along the lake shore.  Grand Lake St. Marys is a large man made lake and is referred to as Ohio's other Great Lake.  Some information I saw once that it took 5,000 men to dig the lake by hand.  reportedly it has an average depth of 5'.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Lake_St._Marys_State_Park.  It is pretty but they are experiencing a lot of problems with algae.

We had breakfast but Pullman Bay's specialty seems to be pies.  They even have pie happy hours from 2-4 every day.  After eating I took Gerri to the library to take advantage of the faster internet service.  My intention was to go geocaching.  I did but the closest cache was a multi-cache in the library.  I don't usually do multi-caches but hey, it was right there.  The name of the cache is "Dewey Cache?  Of Course We Do! The first way point hint lead to a Dewey Decimal shelf in the non-fiction area.  There I found a sign with the geocaching logo referring me to the reference shelve to find the proper book. I had to ask a librarian where the reference desk was located, she pointed it out and I found the book with the correct Dewey Decimal. The Book was titled "The Joy of Geocaching."
The clue in that book was to find the card catalog computer and press Alt-G.  Again I had to ask which were the card catalog computers.  Following those instructions resulted in a screen saying that Hedwick holds the clue and that he is in the Harry Potter series.  With that info I went to the fiction section and looked for J.K. Rowling.  I didn't find any books by her, strange.  The librarian came to my rescue and told me the Harry Potter books are in the juvenile section.  She and I are becoming good friends.  In the Juvenile section I started searching all the Rowling books, no good results.  The librarian to the rescue.  How was I to know that Hedwick was an owl.  A toy owl was hanging from the ceiling and held the next clue  I met the cache owner who also works at the library.  The next clue was to find gold in the library's mineral display.  I must mention here that the mineral display has over 7000 specimens and that I soon found out that they were not in any particular order.  The display cases run along one entire wall of the building and along a center area.  I never realized there were so many "ites" in the world.  I came to the point where the display cases intersect and decide to continue along the wall.  Wrong choice, gold was in the first cabinet in the other line.  The clue here was another Dewey Decimal reference.  It was upstairs in the fiction section, fortunately it was also the final leg of the cache.  The end cache was a hollowed out book with a log book and pencil inside.  It was a fun search.

I did two other caches.  One was a DNF from July of 2011.  I found it right away and can't believe that was what I was looking for two years ago since it was a typical magnetic container under one of the metal step treads.

I returned to Kevin's and since one of the items on my list of repairs was to replace the TV in the lounge area we took measurements and I headed to Walmart to buy the replacement.  The old TV was a 32" screen, so that is what I bought.  Turns out that the overall size of the new TV is much smaller and didn't look good once it was in place.  Tomorrow I will pack it up and see if I can return it and buy a larger unit.

After Kevin closed up shop we visited with a couple of our neighbors until they were ready to fix dinner.  Gerri and I both were still not hungry after our big breakfast at noon time.  We did have some snacks later before retiring for the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment