Following the Barkers

Following the Barkers

Thursday, October 4, 2012

Wednesday, October 3, 2012, Garrison, TX


Wednesday, October 3, 2012, Garrison, TX
Breakfast was planned this morning at 11AM. My leg hurt more than yesterday and was noticeably swollen. Gerri made an appointment to see a doctor that Herb sees for 1 o'clock.
After breakfast we headed for Nacogdoches to see the doctor. We got there a little early, even after stopping at a FedEx office to send some papers to Glenna's investment councilor, Steven Reed. I still have to find a Chase branch to close her credit cards and to stop Chase from sending the balances from her checking and savings accounts to the state of Nevada. The accounts are small unrelated to her death we had received notice that they were inactive and will be sent to the state after October 6th.
Of course before seeing the doctor I had to fill out four pages of paper work that no one will ever read. The first bright spot in the visit was my weight, 214 dressed. I think the scale was broken. The second bright spot was my blood pressure, 124/74. The only other good news was that the doctor was sure my problem wasn't a blood clot. This opinion was based on my taking Coumadin and that my last 
PT/INR had been high. After poking, prodding and manipulating my leg, his diagnosis was that I had injured my leg and that caused the bleeding and swelling. He said it was probably a torn Meniscus, but there was no way to tell until the swelling and bleeding had cleared up enough for an effective MIR. He wanted to try to drain the fluid off the knee to relieve the pain and swelling. Of course I wanted the pain and swelling to go away too, so he went ahead with his needles and drained a little fluid, mostly blood, from three places. He only got a small amount as the blood had started to congeal. He gave me an order for a blood draw to recheck the PT/INR and a prescription for a knee immobilizer and we were on our way. We stopped at a drug store that also handles medical supplies and they fitted me with the knee immobilizer. One of the first things we found out was I couldn't get in the car with it on.

We started out of Nacogdoches headed for Garrison. Just outside town there was a traffic blockage. It looked like a stalled vehicle but when we passed we could see a man slumped over the wheel. We turned around to see if he needed medical help. Two other cars had stopped and one of the drivers was on her cell phone. Herb asked the driver if he was OK. That apparently woke him up and he drove away, Herb thought his eyes were still shut. We and another driver followed him. At first he seemed to be driving alright but then started to weave around. Jo Nell called 9-1-1 and was giving the dispatcher updates as we drove. The man pulled his truck over on the shoulder and started looking through some things in the bed of the truck, he had an unlit cigarette in his mouth. When the other driver that had followed approached him he got back in the truck and drove off. As the other driver went back to his vehicle all he said was that something is wrong with him, we were never close enough to tell if he had been drinking. We followed the truck again, Jo Nell still on te phone . This time he was driving much faster and turned on a side road before we got close. The dispatcher told Jo Nell that a police car was coming and advised that we not follow the truck down the side road. We continued on toward Garrison, we passed a sheriff's care going the other way but never found out if they had located the truck. We hadn't been in a position to get the license number but had given the dispatcher the name of the company name that was painted on the truck. Hopefully everything turned out alright.
We stopped at an antique store in Garrison to buy me another "Where the Heck is Garrison, Texas" T-shirt but they didn't have my size.
Back at the house we played a game of Mexican Train and I iced my leg. After the game and before supper I laid down with an icepack on my knee and wearing the immobilizer. We had left over BBQ ribs and chicken for dinner and then played another domino game. I won this one.
After we went back to the coach, we caught up on e-mail but the internet was slow, we went to bed at about 11:00.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment