Following the Barkers

Following the Barkers

Monday, October 8, 2012

Monday, October 8, 2012, Garrison, TX


Monday, October 8, 2012, Garrison, TX
My Swollen Bruised Thigh
Last night I went to bed around 11pm. In the early morning hours it rained quite a bit. I took some pain Medication and slept late. We had our coffee and computer time. Gerri cut my hair before it was time to go to my doctor appointment. Herb drove us in to Nacogdoches. While I was waiting to see the doctor they took x-rays. Of course I had to go through my medical history; I had already filled out the forms. We had picked them up Thursday when the appointment was made. The doctor told me that the only damage to the knee was arthritis on the inside of the knee causing a bone on bone condition. That was probably the cause of the original pain I felt on the 29th of September. He said that eventually my out of whack INR had caused the internal bleeding, thus the swelling and most of the pain. At first the doctor seemed be leaving it up to me whether or not to try to aspirate some of the fluid from my knee, during our discussion he seemed more sure that was the way to go. I had pretty much decided to go that way to relieve the pain. The doctor did say that the only fix for the knee was to eventually have knee replacement surgery. He did say it might be possible to drain more fluid in a week or two to speed up the healing and that we should have no trouble finding someone to do it in the Austin or San Antonio areas.
I also got another order for a PT/INR to check my Coumadin level and we went around the corner to a lab for that. They will fax the results to Dr. Davis who I saw Thursday and to Dr. Wirtz in Las Vegas.


Boudin Balls 
We decided to have an early supper and stopped at a local hamburger place, The Butcher Boy, for that. Herb had a patty melt and the rest of us had regular hamburgers. Did I say, regular? They were large patties and almost as good as the ones John got us in Las Vegas from a meat company where he used to work. Herb and Jo Nell shared fries and Gerri and I had an order of Boudin Balls and fried Okra. The Boudin Balls were dirty rice and sausage breaded and deep fried. They weren't as good as they sounded, kind of blah compared to Boudain I had in the past, the sausage should have been a lot spicier.
Back at the house we played a final game of Mexican Train, as is often the case Herb won, Gerri came in second. I went back to the coach and iced down my leg. Gerri had done the rest of our wash in the house and she then put things away and went inside for a final visit.

We plan on having breakfast in the morning and hope to leave for Austin between 9 and 9:30.

1 comment:

  1. I am really sorry to read of your problems with your leg. I do hope it gets better soon!

    ReplyDelete