Following the Barkers

Following the Barkers

Thursday, October 11, 2012

Wednesday, October 10, 2012, Austin, TX


Wednesday, October 10, 2012, Austin, TX
I spent another night with my right leg bothering me; I didn't get a lot of rest. I wasn't feeling up to going out for lunch with Carl and Joyce, instead opting to stay around home with my leg either iced or elevated.

Gerri got an e-mail from Gail Hardy, her retired boss, who relayed a request from former Sheriff Ralph Lamb. The request was for information on a Metro Officer whose son had lost a leg to cancer. He also wanted to know if a benefit trust had been set up. I didn't know and called the Sheriff and let him know I was checking for the information. I also had a question for the Sheriff about an e-mail I received from a researcher for the CBS series Vegas, which is about Sheriff Lamb. The researcher was looking for information on Sheriff's Training Academies in the 50's and early 60's. The Sheriff assured me that the researcher was legitimate. 
Since I knew very little about academies before mine I called retired Chief Deputy Ray Gubser. I had worked for Ray several times over the years and knew that he was one of the surviving officials instrumental in developing modern training and investigation techniques for Sheriff Lamb and the Sheriff's Department. He gave me permission to give the researcher his phone number. I sent the researcher an e-mail reply and referred him to Ray for further information.

Over the afternoon we made calls and sent e-mails to get the information the Sheriff wanted. Gerri was able to get some of the information needed for the Sheriff about the son with cancer from one of her former employees.
We did go to supper with Carl and Joyce at the Hill Country Pasta House, a nearby Italian Restaurant. They had great food and our waitress was very friendly and helpful.
Sunset  over the La Hacienda RV Resort.

Back at the RV Park I got some nice pictures of the sunset. After dinner we returned to our coach and played a new card game, Fan Tan. It was a fast moving game requiring a minimum of concentration. We played two hands and then switched to LRC. Left, Right, Center is also a fast moving dice game. Probably not very exciting without Joyce and Gerri involved.

Even though unset is in the west, It get interesting to the east too
When our company left it was raining, but they don't live far. I hope they didn't get too wet.

No comments:

Post a Comment