Following the Barkers

Following the Barkers

Thursday, October 25, 2012

Wednesday, October 24, 2012, Spring Branch, TX



Wednesday, October 24, 2012, Spring Branch, TX
With every morning being overcast, I’m beginning to think we are in Southern California. Some of the clouds were heavy but it didn’t rain.  By the time I finished my coffee and catching up on the computer, the sky had cleared and it was a comfortable 82° outside.
I left to geocache earlier than usual, and did 13 caches by about 2 PM. My first cache was the one nearest the RV Park.  It was in a series of caches called the Milestone Miles” which commemorates the achievements of various local cachers.  All but three of the caches I found today were in this series.  Today I hit a milestone of 4000 caches found. One of my goals was to hit 4000 on this trip. Two of my other goals accomplished on this trip was finding the oldest active cache in Nevada and finding a cache in each county in Nevada. I also did a dozen caches in the ET Trail series of 1800+ caches in Nevada. Speaking of milestones, I have now found caches in 49 states, 13 countries and traveled over 175,000 miles to do it. Texas is also dear to me, not only do both Gerri and I have friends and family all over, it is the state that ranks third in the number of caches I have found and I have found caches in more Texas counties than any other state. Of course Texas has more counties than any other state.  It was ironic that after doing so many caches in The Milestone Miles series that this milestone fell to a cache not a part of that series.
The afternoon was busy with a flurry of phone calls from Gerri’s brother about how locate their sister.  Montyne and her husband, John, left San Diego on the third of Oct. with three other people on a 46’ sailboat.  I was following the course of their trip on the Sail Blog site and on a SPOT Satellite GPS messenger.  The last we heard on the Blog they were anchored in Magdalena Bay near a Mexican Naval base at Puerto Cortes on Isla Santa Margarita.  On the 17th the boat was washed ashore by heavy seas caused by Hurricane Paul.  We got word that everyone was ok and they were assisted by the Mexican Navy.  No more word since then.  Hollis got the Mexican Consulate and US Coast Guard to try to locate them and check on their welfare.
Ann and Paul Conner
We made arrangements to meet Paul and Ann for dinner, but before going I elevated my leg and put ice packs on it.  We went to an Italian Restaurant just north of the RV Park.  We lingered over the table for quite awhile after dinner.  This was our last chance to visit with Paul and Ann this year.
After we got home we had a message that the Coast Guard had contacted Sue Blasingame and she told them that everyone was ok.  The question is still up in the air, since we have no specifics of why there has been no further contact.
Like most days the evening was topped off with computer and TV time.


No comments:

Post a Comment