Following the Barkers

Following the Barkers

Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Tuesday, October 2, 2012, Garrison, TX

Tuesday, October 2, 2012, Garrison, TX

We tried to sleep in this morning, and did a fair job of it. We had coffee in the coach and tried to do some things on the computer but it was very slow. The slowness of the internet connection was the reason Monday's Blog was posted so late on Tuesday.

My right leg is still hurting, especially after sitting for awhile. It never hurt today like it did yesterday after driving from Vidalia, LA to Garrison, TX.

Gerri went into the house before me. She, Herb and Jo Nell were on the back patio finishing their coffee. Herb had started the smoker and was fixing ribs, chicken and brisket. We played a game of Mexican Train and then had last night's leftovers for lunch. After lunch we played another game of Mexican Train.

In the afternoon we went back to the coach, planning on some computer time and maybe a nap. E-mail comes in pretty good but anything that involves website is slowwww. I laid on the couch a couple of times but never got to sleep. Once I heard my computer reboot, I guess the power went off briefly because the clock on the microwave was blinking. When we were in Mississippi we were parked under Oak trees and acorns fell on the roof at irregular intervals. Here in Texas it is pecans and they are 4 or 5 times bigger than the acorns. I think Gerri may have dozed off for a few minutes until I said something to her.

I did get some paperwork filled out to mail back to Chase to close out my mother's investment accounts with them. That paperwork has to be sent FedEx to a Chase branch in Santa Ana, CA. I think there is a FedEx office in Garrison. The other things I have all the paperwork ready for requires me to stop a Chase Branch. One to present her death certificate to keep money from small savings and checking accounts that have been inactive from going to the state as abandoned property. This one didn't have anything to do with her death; it just happened that we got the inactivity notice after she died. The other thing I have to do at a branch is close her credit card accounts and pay the balance on the one she used. The closest Chase branch is in Tyler, about 75 miles. The amounts in the accounts and owed on the credit card aren't enough to justify driving 150 miles to take care of. I hope to do those things Friday, either on the way to or after we get to Spring, TX. There is a deadline to stop the money from the two inactive accounts going to the state of 10/6/2012. I figure it will be easier if I stop the transfer than to claim the money and get it back from the state of Nevada later.

Late in the afternoon we played more dominoes before supper. We had the chicken, ribs and brisket that Herb had smoked earlier along with rolls and a squash dish. Excellent meal, but it didn't look like we made a dent in the amount that Herb fixed. We played one more game of Mexican Train after supper. I even won one. We were still full from the big supper and no one had dessert, even though it was peach cobbler and ice cream.

We went to the coach at about 9:30 and I was ready to sleep at 10:30. Gerri was still clacking the keys on her computer but it didn't keep me from sleeping.

The month of October has started with us being in a beautiful place and visiting with family, it doesn't get much better.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment