Following the Barkers

Following the Barkers

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

August 9, 2010

From Great Falls, MT, N47°29.386’ W111°19.942’

Day 67

Today was the day we decided to take a drive to Canada. I downloaded some caches along the route. Away we went north on I-15. It was about 120 miles to Coutts, Alberta, the first town over the border. We saw a lot more Montana prairie with a few mountains in the distance. We stopped for two caches going north, one was a first to find.

Crossing the border was quick with only a few questions. My first cache found in Alberta was only a few hundred feet into Canada, but we had to drive several blocks to get to it. I had the next cache in my Street Pilot so we headed north on Alberta 4. It wasn’t far to the location indicated, a turnout with a Welcome to Alberta sign and some historical markers. I discovered that I didn’t have the cache in my handheld GPSR. While Gerri took pictures of some nearby elk in a field, I searched the few places a cache could be hidden. I found it quickly enough.


We headed further north. As you all realize the scenery doesn’t change much just because you cross a border. What I’m saying is we saw a lot more prairie. Only this time it was Alberta prairie. We went as far north as Milk River. We stopped at a visitor center with a dinosaur display. We then had lunch at a golf club house. Good cabbage rolls. Gerri also bought a Nestlé’s candy bar we had never seen in the USA.











We stopped at a Duty Free store before crossing back into the USA. The only thing we bought way a candy bar for Glenna.
Crossing back into the USA was pretty quick. The agent ask if we bought anything while in Canada, he remarked that it must be a special candy bar since we drove so far to get it.

More prairie on the way back to Great Falls. I stopped for two caches.


We went to visit Glenna at about 6:30 and stayed until about 8:30.

2 comments:

  1. Canadian chocolate is better than the U.S. I would have driven there too! Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure the one we bought for my Mom was Canadian. It said Hershey all over it.

    ReplyDelete