Following the Barkers

Following the Barkers

Saturday, August 29, 2015

Friday August 28, 2015 Morgan Hill, CA

The first thing I did this morning was get the sewer connection ready for the pumping service that we had scheduled for today.  I did that at 7:30, the service came at about 8:30.  No sewer connection is the only thing bad about this park.  They do provide a dump station but that is inconvenient once you are set up in the site.

Uvas Reservoir looking at the dam
Uvas Reservoir looking away from the dam
Since I was up earlier, I was ready to go out caching earlier.  I had decided revisit the two caches near the park that I hadn't found a few days ago.  I had read other cacher's logs and on the first one I couldn't believe I had overlooked a container that was 2"x3".  I had, I found it deeper in a niche that I had checked before.  The second one I spotted easily this time.  With two previous DNFs out of the way I continued up into the hills.  My map showed a reservoir there.  The reservoir was down about 30 feet.  Unlike desert lakes, like Lake Mead, the wash mark left by the receding water isn't as prominent here.  That makes the shore line a little more attractive.


There were a few fishermen scattered around but no boats.  I did see a couple of no swimming signs.  There were also a couple of parking lots and nearby trail heads.







This small Uvas Creek fills it all and
then runs through our campground




I was struck by the number of very large homes scattered around the hills near the lake.  The road around the reservoir went past another small reservoir before running int the road that led to Morgan Hill.  I found a couple more caches near the lakes.



I found a total of 8 caches today with 3 DNFs.  My total now is 4985.  Even though I didn' hunt many in Oceanside and we have shortened our trip by a week, it looks like I might reach my 5000 goal before we get back to Las Vegas.

When I got back to the RV park, I helped Keith pack up their Ez-up shade tent to return to Amazon.  It seems that a strong gust of wind had picked it up and damaged it.  They had just got the shelter this week.  Alice got return authorization labels from Amazon, but Keith had thrown away the original box.  We pieced together two boxes that he had found in the trash.  They were for smaller shade units.  The result of our efforts will protect the shade in transit, but it was not pretty.We had a delicious chicken/sausage dish that Alice had prepared.  Visiting after dinner completed the day.

Back in our coach we watched some TV before bedtime.  Tomorrow we plan to go into Santa Cruz and act like the tourist that we are.

No comments:

Post a Comment