Following the Barkers

Following the Barkers

Saturday, August 15, 2015

Friday August 14, 2015 Oceano, CA

Last night the low was 55 outside and 65 inside, comfortable sleeping.This morning I was awakened by a grinding noise from the Omni-directional TV antenna.  It stopped after Gerri switched the control box to cable,  We had not been able to get TV signals off the air during this trip.  After the experience yesterday with the satellite dome, I tried getting local channels.  I found two on the over the dash TV.  One was NBC.  We were then able to watch local news.  I tried to tune in the other TVs with no luck.  Another thing on the repair list.

We had our coffee and caught up on e-mail and Facebook.  We had on the Today show and local news.

There was a cache listed less than 500' from where we are parked.  Looking at a satellite view of the site, I saw that it required going around some thickets and could require walking about a quarter mile.  The cache hadn't been found since mid June.  That worried me as much as being able to walk the 1/4 mile.  Many times when a cache isn't found in that length of time it is missing and other cachers haven't logged a didn't find.








 I decided to go for it.  I figured I could stop and rest my leg as needed.  I took pictures of the dunes near the cache.  I found the remains of the cache near ground zero.  All that was there was a small composition book with some torn out pages that had other cacher's logs on them. http://tinyurl.com/otq4ojj









I gathered up the pieces and placed them in a zip log bag that I found nearby.  My leg didn't bother me until I was back in the RV park.










In the afternoon we decided to drive to the main parts of the beach.  There are several small cities, Oceano, Arroyo Grande, Grover Beach, Pismo Beach and others further north.  There are also a lot of RV parks closer to the ocean than where we are parked.  There are also state and county parks that allow camping.  We drove to a street that had a view of the Pismo Beach Pier.  As you can see there were a lot of volley ball courts.  No one was playing but there was one man with a metal detector checking for anything that may have been dropped.  My stepdad, Ted, used to do that.  He had a collection of rings and keys.  He once found a class ring that he was able to return to the owner though the school and Josten.



We checked out many places to eat and decided on Old Juan's Cantina in Pismo Beach.  http://www.oldjuanscantina.com/  Very good food. I had chicken and shrimp stuffed Poblano Chilis in Adobo sauce.  When we left the restaurant, I couldn't resist doing a cache in the parking lot.  http://tinyurl.com/oqqzcgn









Once we were back at the coach we were in for the evening.  We watched TV, did computer stuff and read until about 10:30.




No comments:

Post a Comment