Following the Barkers

Following the Barkers

Friday, August 8, 2014

Thursday August 7, 2014 Mount Vernon, WA


We got up at 6 and I started our coffee.  It was foggy this morning and we could barely see the water a few feet away.  Even though coffee would be served at the farewell breakfast, we wanted our own. While drinking the coffee I started preparing to depart.  I drained the sewer tanks and took down the flags.

At 7:30 we went to the clubhouse for the Farewell breakfast.  The fog had cleared some but it was still chilly.  This was the first time that I had noticed that when the tide went out the boats anchored near the RV Park were sitting on the ground.  For breakfast there were bagels, cake, muffins and an assortment of fruits and orange juice. As usual there was plenty of food for the group.

There were no speeches, only individual goodbyes.  The breakfast was pretty much over by 9.

We left the park at 9:30.  Gerri took the Jeep so she could go to a Post Office. I drove the motorhome and headed for our next destination.  The La Conner Thousand Trails park was 10 miles away.

I was surprised when I got there that Gerri hadn't already arrived.  I drove around and found a site that I could easily park in without Gerri guiding me.  I got the coach set up, leveled and slides out.  I even was in a position that got us DirecTV reception.  This park had only 30 amp electric hookup, and my adapter for 50 amp to 30 amp plugs was in the Jeep.  That is when I found out there was no cell service.  I tried to call Gerri, I even walked down to the water front and called again.  This time I was able to leave a message.  I waited at the waterfront for awhile hoping for a return call.  When none came I went back to the coach.  Gerri was there.  Not only was there no cell service this park didn't have WiFi available, even at the activity center.

We decided to go somewhere else in the area.  I called 1000 Trails and checked on availability at a nearby park in Mt. Vernon.  We knew from staying there before it was closer to I-5 and more likely to have cell service and internet.  Before making reservations I called the park, the person that answered assured me they had cell service in most of the park,  She didn't know about Verizon MiFi, but told me the park had WiFi in the family activity center.  I called 1000 Trails back and got the reservations at Mt. Vernon.  We closed up the coach and headed for Mt. Vernon, about 20 miles away.  We arrived and were set up in site A11 by 1:30.  We had both cell and Verizon MiFi service.  We can hear some traffic noise from I-5 and because of trees have no DirecTV service.  But, life is good.

Life is good, but it seems strange to arrive at a park and not have Ben and Nancy to greet us and have no friends around us to visit with.  We have been used to that since leaving Coeur d'Alene on June 12. We will miss the group activities.  Now when we drive down the road and see other motorhomes we can't remark, "There's one of ours, it's so and so.  We also will miss the briefings before travel and the thumping by Brad on the days of travel.  We are on our own and it seems strange.

Now we know
After getting set up I had to go to the Walgreen's in Anacortes to pick up prescriptions I had ordered. Gerri went with me.  On the way back we decided to take a side trip to the town of La Conner and see the historic old waterfront.  La Conner is a few miles off Washington Route 20 and we passed some old barns.  We found one to take a picture of without wires and modern equipment in the way. The farmers in this are are also considerate by marking what is grown in the fields.  Of course even us desert dwellers recognize corn and wheat.

In La Conner, WA




It was difficult to get a picture of the old buildings along the street of La Conner.  I did take a picture of part of the waterfront.  The area seems to be mostly old buildings converted to shops or restaurants.  We ate at a restaurant in old La Conner.  We shared a pound of clams in a chipotle, onion and cilantro sauce. We also shared a 10" Thai chicken pizza with peanut sauce.  Both were very different from other dishes we have had and were very delicious.



Part of the La Conner waterfront.


Back at the RV we caught up on computer activities, and read before calling it a night.  We will be here until Monday morning.












No comments:

Post a Comment