Following the Barkers

Following the Barkers

Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Monday August 11, 2014 Seaside, OR


Passing through Seattle
Another day getting up with an alarm at 6 AM. We try not to have many of those.  We drove to  Seaside, Oregon today, a distance of 270 miles.  We planned on getting to Seaside in time to get a good site.  According to 1000 Trails Reservations the park was full.  We couldn't get as many days in Seaside as we wanted.  I made the coffee but didn't start drinking it until we left Mt. Vernon at 8.

Our route was I-5 south to a Washington highway that connected us with US-30 west and then US-101 south. Traffic wasn't bad through Seattle although I missed the turn onto the express lanes.  We didn't stop in Seattle and Gerri tried to get pictures while moving. Beside Seattle I-5 goes through mostly farm land.  After leaving I-5 the route was winding through forest and farm land.

Before crossing the Columbia into Oregon, we saw the largest pile of logs in the world.  Well, it seemed that way to us.  The piles of logs went up and down both sides of the river bank for miles.  There was at least on large ship loading.  Gerri tried to get pictures out the window.  But, as we got on the bridge a high chain link fence started and was in the way.
Log pile in Washington

Not far into Oregon there was a viewpoint turnout.  We stopped and took pictures of the Lewis and Clark Trail Bridge and the logs across the river.  The haze from forest fires didn't allow for sharp shots.

We got to Seaside at 3:30 and set up in site 20, a pull through with full hook ups.  I called 1000 Trails reservations to see if we could stay until Monday.  I was told the park was fully booked for the next three weeks.  When I took our information sheet to the ranger station, I asked the ranger about the possibility of staying longer.  He said to come back about 7'ish.

I puttered around the coach for awhile trying to put the bays in better order.  I bought some new folding chairs from the Camping World in Burlington.  I didn't care for the rearrangement results and will have to do some more.  I also bought a 50' foot 5/8 inch hose to replace the 1/2 ones that are always kinked.  It is too large for my reel.  I may have to shorten it by 10' or so.

We got e-mail from a couple that were on our caravan, Craig and Kathleen Munson,  They saw us pass through Astoria.  They are staying south of us in Florence, OR.

At 7 I checked back with the ranger.  He could get me one more night here.  Getting the next night required that I cancel our reservation in Whaler's Rest and make a new one.  I didn't want to take the chance of loosing some of those days so I didn't take the extra night here in Seaside.

Gerri fixed two of the Halibut filets along with green beans and potatoes. An excellent repast.  We finished the rest of the evening with TV, yes that's right we have TV again, computer time and reading.


No comments:

Post a Comment