Following the Barkers

Following the Barkers

Friday, August 1, 2014

Monday July 28, 2014 Watson Lake, Yukon Territory, Canada


Black Bears
When I got up this morning I thought that this was the first night in a long time it hadn't rained.  Wrong.  I just hadn't heard it rain.  I was up at 7 and fixed the coffee.  We didn't hurry getting ready to travel since we only had the power hooked up and we only had a 149 mile drive today.


Momma Grizzly
We were leaving the park at 9:30.  A lot of people had already left, but we weren't last.  We had enough rain on the drive to mess up the Jeep windows again.  This was the first day and only day that the entire route had been covered earlier in the trip.  We saw a grizzly bear and her two cubs.  Not long after that we saw a black bear with three cubs.  We watched them for quite awhile.


On the way I had stopped at one place that my GPS showed a cache, but I recognized the area as one that I looked for and didn't find on the way north.  So, I didn't look for it again. 

We arrived at the RV Park in Watson Lake at 1:30.  This is not the same RV Park we stayed at on the way north.  It is actually about 10 miles from the main part of town.  On the way into the park I wanted to buy fuel because they were offering us a 5 cent per liter discount.  http://www.nuggetcity.com/rvpark.html. The machine at the pump wouldn't read our Master Card. I had a half tank so I didn't try the Visa card.  The discount would have been counteracted by the 3% foreign currency exchange fee.  It is only 208 miles to our next stop, so I have plenty of fuel to make that distance.


I unhooked the Jeep and drove to the area of another cache.  The last person to log it had logged a DNF, but it had been found 3 days before that. I checked all over in the areas that matched the hint.  I was unable to find it either.  The next closest along our route is 79 miles so I may stop and look for that one tomorrow.

Our tour staff prepared dinner and we had our briefing on tomorrow’s drive after the meal.  We checked our e-mail by going to the office where internet was available.  Since I had pictures to upload for yesterday’s blog, I didn't try posting the blogs.

A group of us gathered near Craig and Leslie’s RV and swapped stories while sitting around citronella candles.  That broke up at 9.  We were in bed by 11.  No alarm set tonight.


No comments:

Post a Comment