Following the Barkers

Following the Barkers

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

July 5/6, 2011




Tuesday July 5, 2011
Alice and Keith Kerslake
Another lazy day.  I hung around the coach and Gerri spent some time at the lodge for the better WiFi.
Alice and Keith invited us over for supper  Great meal and great company.  It was really good luck to be parked so near such good people.

Wednesday July 6, 2011
Moving day.  I was up before seven and slowly worked at getting ready to travel.  Keith was back from fishing with his grandson before we left.  We said goodbyes and were on the road about 9:30.

Maumelle Park
Our destination for the day was Maumelle Park near Little Rock, AR. The distance was about 330 miles.  The route started as two lane and then a lot of the way was divided highway and then some two lane before we picked up I-30.  Maumelle Park is a Corps of Engineers facility.  We had never stayed at a CoE park before. When I registered on Recreation.gov to make the reservation, I got half off using my Golden Age Passport.  When we arrived they allowed us to switch from the site I reserved to one on the Arkansas River.  I tried pulling in so the great view was out the windshield, but my shore power cord was about 10’ short.  The view out the passenger side is still great.  This park is really nice and the sites are paved and far apart.  The whole area is wooded by giant Oak, Sycamore and Chestnut trees and most are about 60’feet tall or taller.  Even with all the trees our satellite dish found a clear path and reception of DirecTV was good.

Arkansas River

After we were parked for awhile Gerri asked how far it was to Charleston,  She wanted to stay here another night.  I had planned a 200 mile drive tomorrow to a Thousand Trails Park in Tennessee.  For some reason Gerri realized I was planning to stop at Cherokee Landing, We had been there before and said even if we couldn’t stay here another night she didn’t want to go back to Cherokee landing.  I got lucky and was able to stay another night at Maumelle Park.  The drawback will be a 450 mile drive on the 8th.  I plan on checking CoE parks and maybe re plan our trip after the visit to Dubuque and Le Clair, IA.
I took several pictures around the park and included some with this Blog, others may go on Gerri’s Facebook page.


Maumelle Park



There are 3 caches in the park, I plan to bag them tomorrow.


No comments:

Post a Comment