Following the Barkers

Following the Barkers

Thursday, July 22, 2010

July21, 2010

From Great Falls, MT, N47°29.386’ W111°19.942’

Day 47

We woke up to a cloudy day. Not like some of the days we had storms but high general clouds. In the evening we had some lightning and thunder and a little rain.

As is my habit when we don’t have plans for the day, I went to visit Glenna just before noon. I got there during her exercise group. Her lunch was a crispy chicken breast with mashed potatoes and gravy. She ate a little of the chicken, most of her potatoes and all off her soup.. She also drank all her milk. When she went to therapy I talked to the discharge counselor, I think her name is Carolyn, about options. Gerri and I had discussed the option of having Glenna go to a sub-acute therapy facility or coming to the RV and having therapists coming to the RV. We decided that the RV was not a good choice. It is hard to get in and out of the front door while helping someone, and the emergency exits are a big drop to the ground, plus our shower does not have bench and very little room for a chair. Carolyn gave me two other alternatives. The 4th floor of the rehab center has a transitional care unit and she gave me the name of a nearby facility, Missouri River Manor. I went there and took a tour. It seemed very nice.

I did two caches on the way back to the RV Park.

When I went back to the rehab center I spoke to Carolyn again about future treatment. Before seeing her I did a quick tour of the 4th floor, it seemed more like a hospital than the Missouri River Manor. We will decide to make a decision after Friday’s evaluation and input from Dr. Galvos about which level of care would be most appropriate for Glenna.

Glenna did pretty well with dinner, she ate all her soup, about ½ her Salisbury steak and all of her potatoes. The doctor had removed her staples this afternoon and she was having some pain. The nurse gave her a pain pill and she was asleep before eight.

Back at the RV we just relaxed until bedtime. Sometime after nine in the morning the therapist is bringing Glenna to the motor home to see how she does and the obstacles she has to overcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment