Following the Barkers

Following the Barkers

Sunday, February 17, 2013

Saturday, February 16, 2013, Lake Havasu City, AZ

Saturday, February 16, 2013, Lake Havasu City, AZ

It has been about a month since we traveled.  That trip was to Palm Springs, CA by car.  This trip is in the motor home which we last were in the end of November.  We brought the motor home from Bill's house on Wednesday and started getting ready for departure on Saturday morning.  When we came home from our last trip, I was unable to level the coach and later discovered that the right rear leveling jack had punched a hole in the pavement.  I checked the jack and the pad was still on it.  I later checked the leveling system on the hard ground near Bill's house and it seemed to work fine.  I leveled the coach in front of the house, it seemed fine.  An hour or so later it wasn't level.  As I raised the jack I saw that the pad slide up and down on the shaft, allowing the shaft to push into the pavement.  I put two 1 1/2 plywood pads under the jack and re-leveled the coach.  All was fine until the next morning, when I went out for the newspaper the jack had punched through the plywood.  There was now time to take the coach in for repairs. I decided to get a piece of steel to put under the jack to act as a new foot.  By the time I made the calls the companies I called were closing before I could get there. I got up early Friday and went to B&B Coach and Gary cut me a piece of 1/2 inch thick steel about 8 inches square.  The piece of steel worked fine.  I did find that I had trouble getting the piece in place directly under the jack.  After a couple of tries I had it and it worked fine.  By late Friday evening we were all loaded.  We planned to leave at about 9 AM.
Before leaving I was shutting down systems in the house.  During our trip to Palm Springs we weren't able to log on to the security cameras, I checked and plugged the cable modem into an outlet that stays hot when others are turned off..  By then I had shut down the home computers.  Gerri tried to log onto the cameras from her lapop in the motorhome.  By the time we had checked the cameras it was 10 AM.  We pulled away from the house at 10:10 AM.
We decided not to stop for fuel since fuel level was 3/4 tank and the trip for today is only about 150 miles.  Our route was I-215 to I-515 and onto US 95.  There was very little traffic and we went through Searchlight and on into California to I-40.  We were only on I-40 for 50-60 miles.  This stretch of I-40 is as rough as the stretch through Oklahoma.  As soon as we crossed into Arizona the highway improved and was quite smooth. after nine miles in Arizona we turned south on AX SR-95 on into Lake Havasu City.
Park Entrance
We arrived at the Havasu RV Resort a little after 2 PM, Arizona time and were parked in site 4 by 2:30.  Our friend Alice Kerslake came by on her way home from the store and said hello.  She and Gerri set a time for dinner at their place, they own site 166.  Our site was level without the jacks.  I decided to put them down for stability.  The site is concrete but I put my piece of steel plate under the jack so as not to make a permanent mark.  My aim placing the plate hadn't improved from yesterday.  Gerri helped me by turning off the leveling system as the jack came down.
Our small view of the lake

Our Patio area

Our coach from outside the park
Keith Kerslake came by and said hello on his way to the dog park with Chaz.  I put out our carpet, all the chairs and even the table beside the coach.  We are parked next to a silver sided Prevost, so we have to keep up appearances.
We went to the Kerslake site at 5:00 and visited before supper, we hadn't seen them since September in Melissa  TX.  From their site we could see most of the sunset.  It was beautiful, first gold and then red.  We didn't have our camera with us.  The day had been warm but cooled quickly to the point that heaters were needed during supper.  We had a great meal of grilled steak served with an onion Salad and mushrooms.
As I said before Alice and Keith are buying the site they occupy.  That site has a large patio type cover, an outside kitchen and a casita with a laundry area, storage and a washroom.
The lot next door on their west is for sale by the same person that they bought from.  It has no casita but has a large concrete parking area.  Both lots back onto a small wash that separates the sites and those behind them to the north.
We went back to our site at about 10 PM.  We retired after catching up on e-mail and Facebook messages.
It was enjoyable day and should be the start of a great week here in Lake Havasu City.  So far we have had no problems with the DirecTV system, or the city water inlet filling and overflowing the fresh water tank.  The new solar light I got for the flagpole is working out well.  I don't know how long the batteries last during the night but at midnight the flags were still lit up.

No comments:

Post a Comment