Following the Barkers

Following the Barkers

Sunday, April 13, 2014

Saturday April 12, 2014 At Sea




The sky was only partly cloudy today, with clouds on the horizon.  We had breakfast in our cabin.  I did manage to get the Blogs for Thursday and Friday posted, but still couldn't get the corrections to Wednesday’s Blog from Maui to post.
Gerri went to the photo shop and got all the photos that the ship had taken together.  We don’t plan to buy but a couple.  I went to the Library and picked up the daily Sudoku.  Well maybe not the daily Sudoku, this is day 12 of the cruise and the Sudoku sheet was printed day five.  Of course it doesn't matter what day they came out or if I did the puzzle earlier, I can’t remember the solutions anyway.
Today’s lecture on Intelligence activities was earlier than usual, 11:15 AM.   It was on intelligence gathering in the Pacific Theater of WWII.  We met back at the room and went up to the Lido Deck to see the ceremony marking the crossing of the Equator.  It was crowded and the sun had come out so it was hot unless you could find shade.  If you have never seen the ceremony it consists of harassing people who haven’t crossed the equator, pollywogs, and then declaring them shellbacks.  The cruise staff acts as Neptune’s court and brings pollywogs who have volunteered to trial for different crimes at sea.  The crimes are fanciful and the punishment consists of being covered with meringue and other food stuffs or some trick being played on the accused.  The last thing being that  they have to kiss a fish.  Like I said the people harassed are volunteers and they have been prepared for the treatment by interviews.
Gerri drug me to an art auction.  At first it was interesting but it went on and on.  I won’t say I was bored but I did become less interested.  At one point I would have been thankful if someone had tried to throw me overboard.
In Honolulu I had met another couple while caching.   They were Rick and Rosie Alpi from El Paso, TX.  We met them in the explorer’s lounge and had a long talk mostly about geocaching.  I’m sure Gerri was ready to jump overboard on her own before we broke it off to go to dinner.
Dinner was at our usual time and both of the other remaining couples were there.  After dinner we went to a show by Bart Rockett in the Vista Lounge.  The show was different from the one he did in the Princess theater.

After the show we went back to our room and read for a while before calling it a night.

No comments:

Post a Comment