Following the Barkers

Following the Barkers

Thursday, June 5, 2014

Wednesday June 4, 2014 Wilder, ID

We took our time getting up and started.  I got up at 7:45 and fixed the coffee.  Gerri was up a little later.  While having my coffee I unhooked everything but the power.  After Gerri got a little coffee she got the inside of the coach ready to travel.  After unhooking the shore power we drove around to the gas station to fuel up the coach.  After starting the pump twice, it only dispenses $75.00 worth of fuel at a time, I went inside and had them open the pump so I could fill up without interruption.  After fueling we were on the road at 9:30.

Our plan was to drive as far as McDermitt, NV on the Oregon border and spend the night at an RV park in Mitchell, OR.  The route was back east on I-80 past Fallon, which we came through last week, to Winnemucca and then north on US-95.  The route took us along the Truckee east of Reno and after Fallon the Carson Sink dominated the scenery for quite awhile.  Unless you have driven this way it would be hard for you to imagine so much sagebrush and rabbit brush.  We also saw a lot of orange barrels along the way on both I-80 and US-95.  We only experienced one delay of about 15 minutes south of Imlay, NV.

The road work seemed to be moving back sand dunes which had encroached on the highway.

No fancy signs welcoming us to Idaho
The information for a virtual cache is on this sign
River's Edge did have a fancy sign















Site 6, River's Edge
The plan to stop in Mitchell went by the board when I passed the turn to the RV park.  I didn't mind it was still early as we had only traveled 250 miles.  The next park I had on my list was 100 miles farther in Jordan Valley, OR.  I again missed the turn into the RV park.  In my defense it wasn't well marked.  I turned into a lot intending to turn around but Gerri told me she didn't want to stop here.  There was no internet signal.  So on we went.  We finally settled on the River's Edge RV Park in Wilder, ID.  The park was two miles off US-95 and on the banks of the Snake River.  They only have 12 RV site and 9 of those seem to be long term units.  The turn into the park was tight and a tree branch was hanging low, so I went in the exit.  Since I was going the wrong way I had to back into the site which would have otherwise been a pull through.  We got situated at about 7:30.  We changed from Pacific Time to Mt. Time.  We had traveled 407 miles in about 9 hours.  I had stopped at two rest stops which happened to have caches.
Sunset over the Snake River

I had done some miscalculation on when to leave Reno in order to arrive in Coeur d' Alene on the sixth.  When the manager came by to register us, I signed us up to stay two nights.  I plan to call Blackwell Island in CDA and see if we can arrive on the 6th instead of the 7th.

After getting set up I walked around the park and took pictures of the sunset over the Snake River.  For super we had our left over beans and steaks from Louis Basque Corner topped with onions and mushrooms that Gerri had sauteed, plus had for dessert the sweetest cantaloupe.

Gerri went to bed with her Sudoku book at about 11 and I stayed up until about midnight MST.

















No comments:

Post a Comment