Following the Barkers

Following the Barkers

Monday, June 30, 2014

Saturday June 28, 2014 Dawson City, Yukon Territory, Canada


We slept in until 9.  I made the coffee and we hung out at the coach while we drank the coffee. 
Welcome to Dawson City

In the late morning we drove to downtown Dawson City.  We needed to make up for missing the walking tour yesterday.  First we drove down the main street, Front Street, along the river.  We turned around at the entrance to the ferry that continues YT-9 across the Yukon River.  We checked out Second Avenue, another street with a lot of businesses.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dawson_City
Typical street
There were also businesses along most of the side streets.  There were several hotels, motels, B&Bs and cabins for rent.  The canoe/kayak races that we saw start in Whitehorse was finishing at a park along the river.  There also was a Farmer’s Market and Art Fair going on.  There was a lot of pedestrian and vehicle traffic.
There were several caches in and around the main historical district.  
Fixer uppers

Sod rood cabin
We stopped at one and were looking when we met a family from Australia who were also geocaching.  One of the young men found the cache under the boardwalk.

We drove around the town for awhile looking at both active and dilapidated buildings that were built during the gold rush and at the first part of the 20th century.  It was interesting that many homes and businesses used artifacts from days gone by for yard decorations and planters.

We drove to Dawson Dome.  The Dome is a prominent hill that overlooks the valley formed by the confluence of the Yukon and Klondike Rivers.  
A view from Dawson Dome, http://dawsoncity.ca/attraction/midnight-dome/
I found a cache near the summit of the road circling the Dome.  We went back to town and found two caches at historic buildings.

We choose to have a late lunch at Sourdough Joe’s.  This restaurant is a continuation of one ran by an enterprising restaurateur during the gold rush.  In two years his income from the restaurant allowed him to return to New York a rich man and marry his sweetheart.

Gerri's salmon BLT
What a lunch!  Gerri had a Salmon BLT and I had a super burger.  We finished the huge meal, except for a few French Fries.

Police section of Hillside Cemetery
I dropped Gerri off at about 4:45 and went out to find a few more geocaches.  The first one was off the road to the Dome but much lower.  The cache was a short walk to the edge of a bluff overlooking part of the town.  The walk started at a cemetery founded in 1898 and still operating.  The area was well maintained.  It had several graves of historic importance.  I was especially attracted to a very well maintained section purporting to be the graves of members of the Mounties and other Constabulary.  According to the ages listed on the markers 41 was an old age to die.  https://plus.google.com/116858849678493194902/about?hl=en&review=1

The next cache was a short distance away but a 1/4 mile off the road.  The path was paved.  I got within 400’ and the batteries in my GPS went dead.  I debated returning to the Jeep for new ones.  I decided to go on and try my luck.  There was an observation platform at the end of the trail.  I poked around under it with my walking stick.  No luck.  I looked around for a place to hide a cache.  I remembered the hint on the cache and headed for a nearby spruce tree.  Within a few steps I saw the telltale UPS.  I signed the cache log and picked up a travel bug.
Planters made from old mining equipment


I would guess that years ago this was more important in the house

It turns out the road I took to get there was the long way.  I could have come right up from town.


I returned to the coach and hooked up the Jeep and filled the fresh water tank in preparation of a dry camp at Chicken.


Anticipating an early start in the morning we went to bed by 10:30.

No comments:

Post a Comment