Following the Barkers

Following the Barkers

Friday, October 4, 2013

Thursday, October 3, 2013, At Sea Between Mykonos, Greece and Istanbul, Turkey





We arrived in Mykonos, Greece at a little before 7.  It was just getting light.  Looking ashore in the gray pre dawn it looked like all of the buildings here are painted white as opposed to the rainbow of colors we had seen in Italy.  Gerri read last night that it was 1.5 miles into town and that a shuttle will be available for $10 or 8 €.  The Princess Patter said it was a 35 minute walk. 
When I checked my GPS, there was a cache less than 500' from our balcony, named Port of CALL Mykonos. I was hopeful that it was still in place and that I could find it.  It was gray, cold and had started to sprinkle rain as I walked toward the cache location.  I found it easily, a film can at a telephone booth.  I signed the log with some relief at finding my first cache in Greece.
Just outside the dock area there was a kiosk offering rides to downtown Mykonos on  "Water Bus" for 2 €.  It was an 8 minute ride and departed every hour from downtown.  I took that into town.  I set my course on the next closest cache, a virtual cache named "Island Windmill."  I was surprised that I had a GPS reading all the way.  Straight line to the cache was about 1100 feet.  I walked through streets that were from 2 to 4 feet wide and wound around with a lot of intersections.  Many of the ground floor were shops and the upper floors appeared to be homes.  I found the coordinates of the virtual cache and wrote down the required information.  I then made my way back to the harbor by pretty much the same winding streets I had traveled before.
There were several restaurants scattered around and one had an Internet Cafe.  Internet cost 1 € for 15 minutes using their computer.  I asked and wireless was free.  I logged my caches, checked e-mail, caught up on Facebook and logged the two caches that I found.  I also went on the Nevada DMV site to apply for a duplicate driver's license, but the site was unavailable.   The DMV site was supposed to be from 2 Am until midnight.  I had forgotten to allow for the time difference, so I didn't get that chore done.  I did send an e-mail to Curtis with all the information and asked him to go on line and order the duplicate.  Hopefully we can get it in the mail before we get back to Florida.  I also loaded some pictures from around Mykonos onto Facebook.
At noon I caught the water bus back to the ship, all aboard time was set for 1:30.  The ship was scheduled to sail for Istanbul at 2.  When I got back I found a note from Gerri that she was out walking around the ship.  I went to the Trident Grill and had a hotdog for lunch.  Gerri was on our balcony when I returned to the room.  She hadn't seen my note telling her where I went.  We sailed a little late, there were some passengers that didn't get back to the ship at the stated boarding time.  I don't know if they made it by sailing time or were left behind.
When the ship pulled away from the dock I went up to the fantail on the 16th floor to watch Mykonos fade into the distance.  It was cold and windy so I didn't stay out long.
We had several things we wanted to do this evening.  We got dressed and went to the Club 6.  Every day they feature different hors d'ouvres for Platinum and Elite passengers.  We met our friend Jayne there and visited for awhile.  Then Del and Kay from Tucson came by and we eventually worked our way to the party being given by the Captain for returning Captain's Circle passengers.
After short speeches by the Captain and others they introduced the three couples on this cruise that have spent the most time at sea.  These three couples all had over 1000 days cruising.  There were also door prizes given out, we didn't win any.
We went to our regular dinner seating and I think this was the first time all the couples at both the tables in our corner were there.  After dinner we went to the Vista lounge to see a country western show.  We were too tired to make it through the first song.
I thought this was a very good day.  I found two caches in a country I had never visited before.  Mykonos, in my opinion, was far and away the most interesting place we have visited so far on this cruise. This town had an entirely different atmosphere and  was unlike the villages and large cities in Spain, France and Italy.  It was also the first place we docked that had easy access to the town.  It was too bad that we had such a short time there.
Tonight we are sailing to Istanbul, Turkey.  We have no tours planned.

No comments:

Post a Comment