Following the Barkers

Following the Barkers

Monday, July 22, 2013

July 22, 2013, Manteca, CA

We were up at about seven.  I say we to include both of us, actually Gerri was up earlier.  She is in the habit of going to bed after I do and then getting up before me.  I got the coffee on and caught up on Facebook, e-mail and a couple of blogs I follow.

I took the trash out and talked to a neighbor.  There wasn't much to do to get underway.  Put somethings inside away, take in the slides and unhook the power cord.

We were under way by 9:30 but had to stop at a nearby Valero station for fuel.  The advertised price was $4.039 for cash customers.  I used a credit card and still got that price.  We were soon on CA-99 headed north.  I must say the road was a great improvement over the section of I-5 we traveled yesterday.  Only a few bumps, even the first 16 miles of construction zone were smooth surfaced.

Our destination today was a Thousand Trails/NACO park north of Modesto in Manteca, CA.  Gerri had doubts about a place called Turtle Beach Fish Camp and informed me she would not be happy if we didn't have internet.  We traveled CA-99 to CA-120 and turned west for a short way.  The road got narrower and I was having the same doubts as Gerri.  I avoided most of the low branches and managed to navigate the sometimes narrow road with no incident.  We were directed to the D section and advised to pick a spot and that no sewer connection was available.  I didn't know if that was just the D section or the entire park.  It didn't mater anyway, we are only here for the night before going on to Redding.  It was warm outside but not hot like Bakersfield.  A good thing too, the park only has 30 amp power.  We got settled pretty quickly.  I did put the leveling jacks down but Gerri didn't put down the rugs and other inside amenities.

The San Joaquin River
Today we traveled 224 miles, uneventful, over good highway on CA-99, That is the way I like it.  The Turtle Beach Fish Camp actually turned out pretty well.  I would say it is a pretty much typical TTN/NACO park.  Gravel roads and gravel sites, not a lot of traffic so dust isn't a problem.  After my walk around the park and along the levees, I need to up grade my opinion.  This park is a cut above many in the system.  The A-B and C loops have full hook ups.  There is a slough on one side of the park that leads to the San Joaquin River which runs past on the other side of the park.

The clouds showed great promise for a beautiful colored sunset,  from my vantage point the colored sunrise never materialized.  After I got back to the coach Gerri notice a fireball  lower to the horizon through the trees.

Gerri's sunset Shot

After some TV and computer time we called it a night.



No comments:

Post a Comment