Following the Barkers

Following the Barkers

Wednesday, July 17, 2013

July 16, 2013, Oceanside, CA

I stayed in bed until 7:30, the overcast was already clearing away when I made coffee.  My first order of business was computer catch up, Gerri was already at her admin duties.  I do have one more site to check now.  Sundays blog mentioned the pedometer.  The unit uploads to a web site, www.fitbit.com.  I also can add my weight , blood pressure, heart rate and make journal notes.  There is a friends feature so I can see what others are doing, my two friends are doing a lot more than me.

After coffee and computer I walked back down to Buccaneer Park to have another look for the cache I didn't find yesterday.  I didn't find it today either.  I did watch a heron in Loma Alta Creek while he (or she) caught a couple of small fish.  I guess I don't have to tell you I'm easily entertained.  I also checked out the menu at the Buccaneer Cafe just opposite the beach at the end of the walk from the RV park.  They have breakfast and lunch menus with a sunset dinner on Friday Saturday and Sunday.  This afternoon there was a barrista and a stand that sold a variety of coffees and teas.  The beach across the street where the Loma Alta Creek almost meets the ocean is pretty nice with a lifeguard at the designated swimming area.

We spent the afternoon around the park.  At 5 we met Bill and Arlene at Sonny's in San Clemente.  Sonny's one of our favorite restaurants in the area and well worth the 40 mile round trip.  We had a great meal and although we had seen them in March we seemed to have a lot to catch up on.

Just after dark I took another walk down to Buccaneer Park with a flashlight to have another look for the cache there.  No luck in the dark either.  This is really starting to bug me.

Another day of enjoying God's creation, good company and good food.  We will have to watch the good food part or we will need new cloths before this trip is over.

As I have  in previous blogs we had planned to arrive in Oceanside on June 30.  The plans for Oceanside and parts of the rest of this trip have been in place for a year.  I do believe in planning ahead and will continue to do so.  However, before I get caught up in lamenting that we were delayed or the plans didn't go right I need to remember the quote from Robert Burns' "To a Mouse", "The best laid schemes of mice and men go often awry."  Burns wrote those words nearly 230 years ago. An even better reminder came 1700 year's earlier in the New Testament; James 4:13-15.  Come now, you who say, “Today or tomorrow we will go to such and such a city, spend a year there, buy and sell, and make a profit”; whereas you do not know what will happen tomorrow. For what is your life? It is even a vapor that appears for a little time and then vanishes away. Instead you ought to say, “If the Lord wills, we shall live and do this or that."  My grandmas version of the last part of the last quote was, "Lord willin' and the crick don't rise."

No comments:

Post a Comment