Following the Barkers

Following the Barkers

Monday, August 1, 2011

Sunday July 31, 2011

With only about 80 miles to go today we didn't hurry getting ready.  Since the site we were in didn't have full hookups, I had to stop by the dump station before leaving the park.  We were hooked up and ready to go by 11:45.  I did one more check for the geocache that was listed as being near the ice cream stand.  Third strike, I'm out.
Did I say hooked up and ready to go?  A little way down the road I found out I wasn't, hooked up that is.  I saw the Jeep in the left mirror which shouldn't happen on a straight road.  In the mirror I could see it off center and then I saw it in the right mirror.  I pulled over but was't able to get fully off the road.  The Jeep was against the part of the tow bar that fastens to the coach.  I immediately saw the problem.  I had pulled the bonehead stunt of not putting the pin in the left arm of the tow bar.  I had some problems getting the Jeep unhooked from the coach.  I finally unlocked the bar that the arms fasten to and with the help of a rubber mallet got the bar loose from the base plate extensions.  On first inspection the only damage I saw was the light cord pulled .loose at the coach end.  I had Gerri follow me in the Jeep to a bank parking lot a few miles up the road.  Besides the electric cord pulled out the only visible damage was to the left tow bar arm where it had dragged on the pavement.  With as many times as I walk around the coach and Jeep before travel, I can't believe I missed the pin not being in.
I spent a little while trying to get the lights working, but as bad luck would have it the colors didn't match.  I hooked up, properly this time.  The rest of the trip was uneventful and we got to Charlotte at about 3:30.
We took it easy for awhile and then had supper.  Some TV and computer  time rounded out the evening.  Speaking of computers,mine is now totally gone.  All it will do is start to boot and then go into the check disk routine and hang up before that is completed.

No comments:

Post a Comment