Following the Barkers

Following the Barkers

Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Wednesday Sept. 9, 2009 Romance, WV


From the Rippling Waters Church of God Campground, Romance, West Virginia. N 38° 34.455’ W081° 36.551’
We left Wilmington, OH at about 9:30 AM, a real early start for us. It was foggy when we left and for about an hour and a half while we were traveling. Visibility was about two miles so it didn’t really bother us. I had looked at the route to Charleston and we decided instead of going east to I-77 we would go more south and pick up I-64 and avoid the narrow WV SR-2. Wrong choice OH SR-93 is just as bad. We stopped for shopping and lunch at Chez Sam’s in South Point, OH. Fine dining at it’s best. Pizza slices for Glenna and I and a polish dog with sauerkraut for Gerri. It started to rain as we left the parking lot. The rain was spotty on the way to Huntington and Charleston. We called cousin Ed and had him meet us at the mouth of the hollow where he lives. Glenna will stay at there house instead of with us at the campground, thus avoiding the 20 mile each way trip daily.
We got to RWCOGC at about 4 PM. Really heavy rain most of the way. Man, the memory of how narrow CR-42 is had faded. It may have a yellow line down the middle but I would swear the lanes are no more than 8’ wide. The campground has added two pull through spaces next to the larger lake. We have a beautiful view of the lake and the chapel on the other side. I’ll take pictures and post them later. I got the coach all set up before the rain caught up with us. It never got as hard as it was on the way here from Charleston.
7 PM and the rain has stopped and the mist is rising out of the trees on the hills around us. Quite a bucolic sight with the trees, the rising mist and the lake like a mirror reflecting the chapel.
Well I had nothing to do yesterday and didn’t finish, so I had better get started or I’ll never finish.

No comments:

Post a Comment