Following the Barkers

Following the Barkers

Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Sept. 29, 2009

From the Apple Island Resort, South Hero, Vermont.
Another rainy day in Vermont. I caught up with some paper work and correspondence. Gerri worked on her scavenger hunt and Glenna read, watched TV and did crossword puzzles.
By the time the rain got heavy I needed to go to the grocery store for a few items. There are no chain type stores in South Hero, those are probably in Burlington to the south of us. I found the Keeler’s Bay Variety Store. It looked like a convience market from the outside but had a full variety of grocery items, including a deli and carried a lot of hardware items to boot. The aisles were small and the had small shopping carts to match. They not only had the main item I came for, corn tortillas, they had the same brands one we buy at home.
On the way home I was near a cache and went for it. I pulled up within 50’, jumped out and was quicly wet all over from the rain. I retrieved the container and went back to the Jeep to open it and sign the log. By the time I examined the contents and signed the log, the rain stopped. If I had waited a few minutes only my feet would have been wet. What’s a little wet in exchange for a smiley face and a travel bug?
Back home and Gerri fixed her world famous layered enchiladas with coleslaw on the side. One of the best meals of the trip.
By bedtime the rain had pretty much stopped, at least to a point I didn’t hear it on the roof. I did hear the wind gusting during the night and rattling the flag pole.
I have my eye on a couple of trees I can see from where we are parked. They are slowing changing color. It’s flat here and only about 600’ ASL. I think we need to drive around to higher elevations and find a more panoramic view. Stowe is only about 50 miles away and the mountains near there range from 2500-3000’ and as I recall there are vistas available. I have been trying to think of the name of the Inn in New Hampshire that we visited a few years ago and got great pictures. It’ the place where they hold the first presidential primary. Opening the polls at midnight and closing them after all 12 or so votes are cast. I’ve searched my maps and haven’t located it yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment