Following the Barkers

Following the Barkers

Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Monday Sept. 21, 2009 Hershey, PA


From the Hershey Thousand Trails Preserve.
Today I got around to replacing the arms on the lounge chair. I had ordered them from Flexsteel in July and had them sent to my cousin’s house in West Virginia. They came in one day after we got there. Of course they were the wrong color. I decided that it would be easier to change the covers than ship them back. The problem with the original arms was the foam slipping off the boards that make the arms. Changing the two arms took a couple of hours, a pint of sweat, a few drops of blood and a lot of sharp criticism of the chair designers and their parents. Using the original fabric turned out to be a blessing, the bolt holes were already there. This whole exercise reminded me why I choose the profession I did. I’m sure the problem with the foam will occur again the new arms are built just like the old. We will be looking at better chairs. I have the parts to replace the Number Bed controls. I think I’ll wait until the memory of today’s chore fade. I may even hire someone for that job.
Today we went to check out the Hershey Outlet Mall. We drove though without stopping. No Hershey store, just the standard outlet shops; Coach, Osh’Gosh, etc.
We dove to Hummelstown to check out what was billed as a unique toy store. They did have a lot of stuff but my back was bothering me too much to walk around. I guess it was sympathy pain with Gerri. We have both had problems with our backs since mid July. We did have lunch at an interesting place in Hummelstown, the Soda Jerk Diner. A lot of chrome and very fiftiesish. Great cheeseburgers and fries.
After lunch we looked for a dollar store to buy birthday cards. That took us to Harrisburg. On the way home we looked out at the rolling hills and fields. The corn crop is mostly done and the stalks all are turning brown. We wondered after some small use as fall or Halloween decorations, what they do with tat stuff? Whatever it is I hope the demand is high because just the states we have been in on this trip have a lot to contribute. I mean from Washington to Pennsylvania it’s corn, soy bean, corn, soy bean and more corn. Paul Conner would love it. I think I will grill some corn to go with supper tomorrow.
The park isn’t as full of RVs as it was this last weekend. But, there as many geese as ever. There must be a thousand here. I went outside the motorhome for something and heard them. I don’t know what stirred the geese up but I think all of them were squawking and honking for about ten minutes. Actually they are beautiful creatures and except for occasional landmines and honking they add a lot to the ambiance of the park.
What with the late lunch in Hummelstown and stopping in Campbelltown for a soft serve ice cream, no one was hungry so we didn’t bother with supper. For me it was WoW, Gerri was on Facebook and Glenna reading and crossword puzzles.
As you can see the Barkers and Wisnewski are living the high exciting life.

No comments:

Post a Comment