Following the Barkers

Following the Barkers

Thursday, August 4, 2016

Wednesday August 3, 2016 Gander, Newfoundland, Canada

With no organized activities today, we slept in  We then had our coffee.

We had decided to drive to a community on the north coast named Twillingate.  It is a center for whale, bird and iceberg watching with a lot of tour boats.  It was a 75 KM drive.  The town sits on a bay and the ocean is in view.  We saw some other members of our group having lunch in town.  We spoke to them for awhile and I looked unsuccessfully for a nearby cache.







We then drove out to a nearby lighthouse.  We saw other members of our group there.







This was quite a large lighthouse and was made of concrete.


















There were viewing platforms along a cliff with striking views of the ocean.





We drove back into town and had lunch at the Addy's Seafood Cafe.  I had a moose burger and Gerri had lobster Chowder with a grilled cheese sandwich.  My moose burger wasn't as good as the one at the Back Cove Cafe in Gros Morne.




We went to a cache that Gerri found for me.  We then drove around to the other side of the bay to see if there was another view of the light house.  There was but it was too far away for a good picture.  I found a cache by the same hider as the one we couldn't find earlier and at a similar location.  We returned and found the other before heading back to Gander.


Back at the rv park I went out again to find some more caches.  I found 3 and DNFed 2 before I gave up.

There were five pipe sculptures of airplanes round Gander.  All had some significance in the history of Gander.  There was a cache listed at all 5, but I only found three




When we got back from Twillingate the air conditioner was running in the coach.  This morning I had turned on a heater before we got up and showered.  When the sun went down tonight it cooled rapidly.   I may have to have the heater again in the morning.

We want to leave by 9 in the morning it is a 336 km drive to St. John's, our last stop in Newfoundland.


No comments:

Post a Comment