Following the Barkers

Following the Barkers

Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Monday August 14, 2016 Cavendish, PEI, Canada

I woke up this morning with the right side of my head hurting.  I thought maybe I had slept too long on that side.  The pain was a shooting pain near my ear.  I slept very little.  I got up at around 8 and made coffee and took some Tylenol.  After a short time I went back to bed.  I slept a little and by 10 or so the pain was gone.

Green Gables






























In the afternoon we went to the Avonlea village.
The village is a reproduction of what L.M. Montgomery described in her book Anne of Green Gables.  Most of the buildings were moved here and are places that Mongomery would have been familiar with.  We walked around for awhile and had lunch at a restaurant called Moo Moo.  They specialize in grilled cheese sandwiches.  They had both plain grilled cheese and fancier ones with lobster or brisket.  We both had the Lobster Club sandwich. All of the items come from the island, bread and potato chips made fresh.

















We then went to the nearby Green Gables Heritage site, managed by Parks Canada.  This is the setting for the book Anne of Green Gables.  It is the actual farm, woods and house described.  The house is decorated as described in the book.  The house picture is at the top of the page.

I found a geocache on the grounds.  Parks Canada allows caches in their parks but does't allow trade items.  You may remember the ones we did in Newfoundland, that earned Moe and I a commemorative coin.

A lot of Prince Edward Island is farm land with rich red soil.  Many of the beaches are red sand and tidal basins are red silt.  With all the red dirt around a red dirt shirt factory was opened in 1997.  We had seen red dirt shirts before but this was the first one where we saw the process.  Washers only last between 2 and 4 weeks depending on the brands.  Maytag last the longest with Kenmore the the shortest time.





We drove to the village of North Rustico.  There is a light house there and a fishing harbor.  We got pictures of the lighthouse.  We also saw the restaurant where we will be having dinner later.  There were caches along a board walk.  I tried to find one at the end of the boardwalk with no luck.

















We returned to the RV park to rest and get ready for dinner at 6.

We drove to the Fisherman's Wharf and then sat with Craig and Kathleen for supper.  Supper was a salad bar that featured mussels and an entree of our choice.  I had a New York steak and Gerri had a shrimp platter.  My steak was prepared to perfection.  Gerri's shrimp was so-so, the shrimp were breaded and without the breading weren't very large.

After dinner Moe and I did a few nearby caches, Gerri drove Pat back to the park  We found 2 along the highway and 4 along the board walk before it got too dark to hunt.  We did stop for another one that was near the RV park, making our total 7 for the day.  8 for me here on PEI.

Gerri got some good pictures of the sunset and one of the nearly full moon.


Gerri and I watched some TV and read until bedtime.

Tomorrow we plan to drive part of the coastal scenic route and then see a play based on Anne of Green Gables.

No comments:

Post a Comment