Following the Barkers

Following the Barkers

Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Monday September 1, 2014 Las Vegas, NV

Our last morning on the road was clear and with no wind.  We had our coffee while getting ready to travel.  We had 334 miles to travel and the route was south on US -95 with no turns until we got to Las Vegas.

We stopped at the Subway in Tonopah for a sandwich.  We each ate half of our sandwich in the busy parking lot.  It must be the holiday.  It took a little maneuvering to get back on the highway.  For as many cars as were in the service plaza, the highway wasn't that busy.  Since I normally drive at 60 mph a lot of people passed us.  The speed limit most of the way was 70 mph.  I only had to brake twice for passing vehicles whose drivers had miscalculated how long it takes to pass a 65' long combination. Some people either don't see or have no concept of how fast long distance can be come short with a closing speed of 120-140 mph.


Once reaching Las Vegas we turned on Durango to pick up County route 215.  We stopped at Sam's Club and topped off the tank.  Our fuel consumption for the last two tanks averaged 7.1 mpg.  We pulled up to the house at about 5 PM.  I went in and turned the air conditions down and then unhooked the Jeep.  To park in front of our house I have to make a turn at the end of the Cul De Sac.  I can't make the turn with the Jeep attached, I have to make at least one "Y'" maneuver.  Once I had the coach parked and the power connected we relaxed in the house.  Well I relaxed, Gerri started some wash.

This has been a trip to remember. We have been on the road 98 days, driven nearly 8900 miles and seen some fantastic scenery.  I completed my goal of finding a geocache in all 50 of the United States. My northernmost geocache is now in Fairbanks, my southernmost is on the South Island of New Zealand.  Those two points are about 8000 miles apart.  I found over 200 caches on this trip adding both Alaska and the Yukon to places I have cached.  http://www.geocaching.com/profile/

We took over 2500 pictures, some of them are good.  We got pictures of family, our new friends, us and a lot of scenery and animals.  I created two Share sites on Shutterfly.  One is pictures of wild animals we saw on the trip; http://animalsofcanadaandalaska.shutterfly.com/ and the other is most of the pictures we took on the trip; http://maytoseptemberroadtrip.shutterfly.com/

We love to travel but besides so much mail to go through we like to get back to the house in Las Vegas.  We have truly high speed internet here which we also enjoy.  Although many of the parks we stayed in advertise wifi, it isn't always reliable nor does it ever approach the speed we have here at the house.  The picture on this blog loaded so fast I didn't have time to take a sip of coffee.

We had a great time.  We will be home for two weeks.  Then it is off to Maui for four weeks.  I plan to restart the Blog then.  As they say, stay tuned.


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for keeping us up to date with this blog. We all enjoy reading it and looking at the pictures each night.

    ReplyDelete