Following the Barkers

Following the Barkers

Saturday, September 20, 2014

Friday September 19, 2014 Lahaina, Maui, HI

Name that bird
We must be still adjusting to the time change. Well one of us is, Gerri was up early. Still on Las Vegas time.  Our morning was typical.  We loafed and spent our time between the computer and looking out at our little patch of ocean paradise.  Birds hop past our door occasionally, of course we don't know what kind they are. We have seen four varieties out the window and a larger bird on the grass by the ocean.  We haven't seen any gulls, they must hang out closer to the harbor.


In the afternoon we lathered up with our sunscreen and went out on the grass near the ocean.  Gerri sat in the sun and I walked to a geocache about a 1/3 mile away. I walked northeast along the seawall. My last walk had been southwest.  I soon came to the end of the resort property, the path along the beach ends here.  The next property has a wall topped with a fence that extends all the way to the water.  There are steps down to the sandy beach but it is very narrow.  The surf usually covers the sand, or at least rolls over it. Where the steps lead to the water there is a passageway in the other
See any crabs?
direction that leads to the street via the parking lot.  Before making my choice to walk to the street, I noticed movement on the rock seawall. There were about a dozen small crabs scurrying around.  I tried to get a picture but I'm not sure any of the crabs show.  I followed the way out to the street and walked up the sidewalk to a small park that had a really nice beach.  The cache was at the edge of the park and after a little searching I found it.




I returned to the Papakea Resort and sat with Gerri.  Of course I sat in the shade of some palms.  We watched a couple flying a remote controlled helicopter.  It went out of sight and we thought it had crashed.  In reality it was high enough above us we couldn't hear the motors.  Later talking to some other I found out that the helicopter had a video camera.
Our  view to the west

After Gerri went inside I walked back to where I had seen the crabs, hoping to get a better picture.  There were a couple of women at the bottom of the stairs so the crabs were in hiding. I spoke with the ladies for awhile and to another group of three from Provo, Utah before returning to our unit.  I also chatted with one of the Janets next door before going inside.  Both of the women next door are named Janet, they are from Pennsylvania.

We watched TV and read until Gerri prepared a dinner of broccoli quiche.  I had mine with some of the quinoa salad.

Some TV. computer and reading finished off the evening at 10 PM.  The TV was on in the bedroom but we didn't know that for very long.

No comments:

Post a Comment