Following the Barkers

Following the Barkers

Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Tuesday September 13, 2016 Gatlinburg, TN

We spent most of the morning with our coffee, computer and other chores around the coach.

Our tourist activity today was driving through a different part of the Park.  In all the glitz of downtown Gatlinburg we missed the turn.  We drove past the Sugarland Visitor Center and turned around.  On the way back we found the turn to the Roaring Fork Motor Nature Trail, it was right in Gatlinburg.  The road entered the park and much of it was a one lane one way paved strip.  In places steep and always curvy, with a speed limit of 10 mph there were many turnouts.  We saw some old farm houses and barns.  These showed examples of life in these mountains when it was a wilderness frontier.








The sluice isn't curved, the panorama setting
makes it look that way




















The loop ended at a place called Ely's Mill.  They run a mill on water power and still grind corn there.



After we got back to the RV park.  I went back to town to look for some caches before dinner.  I wanted to stick to urban caches because I found out yesterday that the chiggers were still biting in the grassy areas.  I say found out, I mean I got 7 itching bites.  I wasn't very successful in finding the caches.  Parking, except in pay lots is scarce.  I will try to get Gerri to drop me off near the caches and then pick me up after I hunt.

Ready for the Harvest Festival

For supper Gerri made spaghetti in a meat sauce.  We watched some TV before bedtime.

Tomorrow we plan to see what Sevierville has to offer besides a statue of a young Dolly Parton.

No comments:

Post a Comment