Following the Barkers

Following the Barkers

Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Tuesday July 19, 2016 St. Barbe, Newfoundland, Canada

Somebody thumped the tires at 8.  I had gotten up at 7:35, fixed the coffee and laid back down.  Today's drive is only about 220 miles, so I didn't hurry too much.  The next RV park only has electric so I took the time to dump both holding tanks.  I also checked the lights on the Jeep and didn't have a left turn signal.  That will have to be checked later.

Ski area just north of Corner Brook
Saffron or mustard take your pick
I had a bad start by turning the wrong way out of the RV Park. Fortunately, there was a gravel pit operation less than a mile down the road and plenty of room to turn.  We were on the Trans Canada Highway for the first 30 miles or so.  Then on a Provencal highway.  There was a noticeable difference in the pavement.  The  speed limit much of the way was 90 kph.  But to the consternation of those behind me, I was comfortable a little slower than that.  There were very few places to pull over to let someone pass.  I didn't realize how much of a tailwind we had until we stopped for a short PR break.


After we got to to the RV park and set up, we got the news that two of our group had problems.  We knew that Art and Sharron were going to get a late start, but not the rest.  Art has had trouble with one of his awnings and went on his roof to fix it.  Getting down he fell off his ladder.  Craig and Kathleen had brake troubles and stopped at another RV Park for the night and a mechanic will fix them tomorrow

Bob helped me take off my Jeep's taillight lens and check the light bulb.  The bulb was intact.  When we checked the connection from the motor home to the Jeep, some wires were bare.  We couldn't get the plug apart to fix it.  I didn't have one that matched, but another member of the group did.  Keith Beers planned to go to a hardware store for some screws, so I rode with him.  The store happened to have what I needed.

Keith and Bob helped me replace the plug to the Jeep.  Well, Keith and Bob did the work and I watched.  We didn't get a connection on all the poles with the test light.  Before we leave here on Thursday we will try it with the Jeep hooked to the coach and the coach running.  The up side is the lights on the rear of the coach are visible even when the Jeep is hooked up.

The weather is very windy and cold, no standing or sitting around outside talking.  We did play a few rounds of Mexican Train inside the RV service building before retiring for the evening.

As of 10 PM our ferry ride to Labrador is still a maybe since Art hurt his shoulder.  There is also some confusion on what and who our reservation covers.


No comments:

Post a Comment