Following the Barkers

Following the Barkers

Sunday, May 10, 2015

Saturday May 9, 2015 Flagstaff, Arizona

We were up by 7 and put everything in the car before going to breakfast.  Hawthorn Suites is a cut above the other Wyndham hotels we have stayed, they had real plates and stainless steel flatware in addition to plastic.  I had my last Texas shaped waffle for this trip.

We were on the road in time for rush hour, but it wasn't very far out of El Paso.  We choose the easiest, if not shortest route to Flagstaff.  I-10 to Phoenix, I-17 to Flagstaff and back on I-40 to the Wyndham timeshare. Weather reports were a part of the decision also.  The other choices took us further north through more mountains.

We only made a couple of stops for fuel and with the time change to Mountain Standard we arrived in Flagstaff and were at Neva's unit by 4. Driving north on I-17 we saw several deer along the highway grazing.  I also spotted several Elk at Munds Park just south of Flagstaff.  We had a few spots on the windshield coming up the hill from Phoenix.  The only snow we saw was on the ground in the shade of trees.  We had some small hail as we merged onto I-40.  It was 40 degrees when we got to Flagstaff.

We were warmly greeted by Gerri's mother, Neva, and were soon ensconced in the warm timeshare unit.

We had another of Neva's culinary masterpieces for dinner.  BBQ ribs, coleslaw, green beans, corn on the cob and sliced tomatoes.  Followed by cookies all around.

After dinner we played a game of dominoes.  Even though it was the Mother's Day weekend, the ladies didn't begrudge me my win.

Surprisingly we weren't in bed until 10:30.  I read until midnight before giving up the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment