Following the Barkers

Following the Barkers

Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Tuesday October 14, 2014 Las Vegas, NV

Last day in Hawaii.  Well, yesterday was our last day in Hawaii.  Today is leaving Hawaii and going home to Las Vegas day.  We got up early at, 6:30, and drank coffee while finishing our packing and getting ready to travel.

We left for the airport at 9.  Our flight wasn't until 1:20.  We had to stop at Costco and top off the tank in the rental car.  We thought it might take longer for the rental car turn in because of some damage to the vehicle but we sailed through that.  We were soon on the shuttle to the airport.

Ready to travel
We had to go through an agricultural check before checking in with the airline.  The really long wait was for a porter with wheelchairs for Neva and me.  We sailed through the TSA checkpoint and waited at the gate for our flight.

The first part of the flight was a short hop to Honolulu to catch the flight to the mainland. The wheel chairs came quickly in Honolulu.  It was a long way from the interisland terminal to the International and mainland terminal and we got to the gate just in time to board.

Just a side note here on geocaching.  On this trip I completed my quest to find a cache on each of the publically accessible Hawaiian islands.  We had travel to both Lanai and Molokai on this trip and I found caches.  I had found caches on the other islands, Oahu, Hawaii, Kauai and Maui on previous trips.  The cache finds qualified me for a challenge cache named "Hawaii Island Hopper Challenge."  The problem was that in order to find the end cache I had to return to Oahu to sign the log.  Even though the cache was located near the airport, I just didn't have time to get to the cache and back to the airport for our connecting flight.  I posted a note to that effect on the cache page.  A very kind offer was made by a local cacher to pick me up at the airport and take me  to the cache and back.  Too bad, I didn't have the time.  Gerri is looking at an inter island cruise next year.  So I may be able to complete the challenge then.

The flight to the mainland was long and bumpy in places.  On the way Neva and Gerri took pictures of the video presentation on our seat back monitors.  They were afraid there would be no pictures for this blog.


We arrived at McCarran at 11:35. A little early.  Hollis picked us up after we schlepped our luggage for what seemed like a half mile through the nearly empty terminal.  We had tried to time the pickup by sending e-mails, but Hollis had to circle the terminal twice.  McCarran doesn't have a cell phone waiting lot like every other airport in the world.  I guess that is part of Randy Walker's legacy of bilking every penny possible from the traveling public.

Our next rip is planned for November 9  to Carlsbad, CA and I will resume the blog then.  In the meantime I have doctor's appointments, vehicle repairs and minor surgical procedures to take care of.


No comments:

Post a Comment