Following the Barkers

Following the Barkers

Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Monday October 13, 2014 Lahaina, Maui, HI

Our last full day on Maui dawned, if you can call it that, with grey skies.  Of course our alarm clock was the construction activities that started promptly at 8 AM.  We had our coffee and said good morning to our computers.  Neva's plan was to get some sun today, curses foiled again.  The rain came at about 9 and continued off and on all day.

Saphira's Teeth
Some time during our stay I had realized I was close to 4600 cache finds and had set that as my goal
Near my last cache

Rain at the Papakea Resort
for the trip.  I needed two more today and decided to try the ones along a trail in a closed golf course in Kapalua.  I drove around looking for the right place to access the trail.  I had to park during a hard down pour, it was raining too hard for the wipers to keep the windshield clear enough to drive.  I finally went to another group of caches along a coastal trail.  The first was a tough walk mostly over uneven rocks. It was an earthcache and I got the required picture and later the required information off the internet.  On the way back to the car I had to walk hurriedly in a minor cloud burst.  The second cache was only a short walk on a beach access trail, it was harder to find the beach access parking than it was to find the cache. That one made my goal for the trip.  As insurance I walked another 3rd of a mile to another cache along the trail, and of course a 3rd of a mile back.

I got back to the Papakea at about 2:30, I was still wet from my walk in the rain.  Our plan was to have dinner at the Hula Grill at beachside in Kaanapali at the Whaler's Village Shopping center.  The outing was looking doubtful with the heavy rain accompanied by thunder and lightning.

There was a lull in the rain before 5 and we headed out.

We got a good table at the Hula Grill near the bandstand in sight of the ocean.  even with the afternoon's rain most of the sand under our table was dry.

We had an excellent meal.  Neva and Gerri had fish tacos and I had Firecracker Island Fish.  It was Ono and served with rice and a mango and black bean salsa.


















Our last sunset on Maui was pretty but not spectacular.
















An ice cream sandwich for three



































About 8 we returned to the Papakea Resort and Gerri got the large bags packed.  Our flight isn't until 1, but we plan to get up at 7 and leave for the airport at about 9.  That will give us time for the 20 mile drive and to top off the tank at Costco before turning the car in.  We should have plenty of time to checking in by 11.

We finished the evening with reading and computer time.

Another good day, too bad it is our last day here.  Gerri has already looked at an inter island cruise for January.  Our Cabo plans may have to be changed depending on the progress of repairs from the damage caused by Odile at both resorts we stay at in Los Cabos.


No comments:

Post a Comment