Following the Barkers

Following the Barkers

Monday, July 16, 2012

Las Vegas, NV, Sunday, July 15, 2012

Cajon pass we had had a head wind all the way from Las Vegas. I don't like moving day so I contacted the office last night about putting it off one more day. No luck the site was reserved for later today and for the next three weeks.

I had dumped tanks, hooked up the Jeep and unhooked everything but power last night after knowing we couldn't stay over until Monday. Except for stowing the inside things we were almost ready to go. I usually only have to handle the outside but with Gerri pretty much out of commission I was reminded how much has to be done. We got up at eight and pulled out 10.

The 310 mile drive wasn't too bad traffic wise. We hit a rain and hail storm in the Yermo area that lasted about four miles. The other thing I discovered was that I used more fuel than usual on the trip to Oceanside. Until we went down the hill from Cajon Pass, we had had a head wind all the way from Las Vegas. The trip computer said I had enough fuel to make it home. I was leery of trusting the computer. When the computer shows 100 miles of fuel left it goes to a low fuel reading and won't show how many miles it calculates are left. Really REALLY not wanting to run out of fuel I stopped at Primm. What a mess! The normally dry lake was running over with water with water running over the roads and in the parking lots. That combined with completely stopped traffic on I-15 South, there were long lines at the truck stop, inside the convenience store and to get back on the Interstate. I put in $50.00 worth of diesel and hoped the price at Sam's was under the $3.599 they were charging at Primm.

I topped off the tanks at Sam's, diesel was $3.449 a gallon. It cost me another $300.00 to top off the tank. Considering fuel only the trip cost about 50 cents a mile.

We got home at 5:30 PM. I hooked up the power and unloaded only the things necessary for the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment