Following the Barkers

Following the Barkers

Friday, August 10, 2012

Thursday August 9, 2012, Flagstaff, AZ


Thursday August 9, 2012, Flagstaff, AZ
We were up early, for us, this morning. A lot to do and places to go for both of us. Both Gerri and I have luncheons today. Gerri with some ladies she worked with and me with the Sheriff's Protective Association board of directors. I still serve the board as retiree liaison.
Before going to my meeting I went to visit my mother. It's hard to tell if she knows me or not. She doesn't respond to questions and only asks, “where am I supposed to go” or “what am I supposed to do.
Yesterday at her doctors suggestion we signed her up for Hospice care. They are supposed to finish evaluating her today. Beside being unresponsive she hasn't been eating more that a few bites or a glass of milk a day. The Hospice representative says after the evaluation they will stat a plan to treat her and at least try to keep her comfortable without moving her to a different care facility.
Gerri got home from her luncheon about a half hour before me, I got home about 1:30. We got everything in the car for a short trip to Flagstaff, AZ and were on the road after fueling up Gerri's car at about 2:50. We will be staying with Gerri's mother at her Wyndham timeshare. I had some reluctance to leave town but realistically there is nothing I can do that isn't being done.
Earlier this morning I spoke to Jeannette and they plan to come to visit my mom this weekend. I gave them the codes to get in the house and instructions on the air conditioning. I also warned them that Glenna may not recognize them and not to be shocked at her weight loss,
Thee o'clock seems to be a good time to leave Las Vegas. We had light traffic on I-215 and US-93 to Kingman, AZ. After we crossed the bridge and were a short way into Arizona we could see dark clouds over the River Mountains and the White Mountains as we approached Kingman but they were pretty far off to the north. After we got on I-40 and past Kingman the black clouds were ahead of us and we could see occasional lightning. When we got into the mountains east of Kingman it started raining and several times I was down to 40 mph or slower because of the visibility. Some of the lightning strikes weren't far away. Several times we heard the thunder before the flash of light had died away. By the time we got to Williams we were past the storm and it was clear the rest of the way to Flagstaff, We arrived at the timeshare at about 7:30. The trip of 250 miles took just over five hours. Not bad considering the slow downs at the heavy storm times. The light traffic and 75 mph Arizona speed limit made the driving time shorter.
After unpacking and relaxing for a while, Neva served supper. Black eyed peas with cornbread and a pineapple cottage cheese salad. One of our favorite meals.
In Flagstaff this time of year it can be mid 80's during the day and 50'ish at night. We caught up on e-mail and watched a few Olympic events before bedtime. I opened the bedroom window and it was cool enough to close it at about 4:30AM.
Much to my chagrin, I realized that Saturday is Todd's birthday. He will be in Las Vegas and we will be in Flagstaff..  

No comments:

Post a Comment