Following the Barkers

Following the Barkers

Saturday, January 3, 2015

Saturday January 3, 2014 Van Horn, TX

We woke up to the 5 AM alarm and by 6 we had said our goodbyes.

After leaving Curtis and Gloria's our first order of business was a stop for fuel at a nearby station. After fueling we were onto the South Padre Island Drive headed for I-37 toward San Antonio to pick up I-10.

I  slept fitfully most of the way to Kerrville.  We had breakfast at the Cracker Barrel and then fueled up.  Our next stop was Fort Stockton for fuel.  The lines at all the service station were out into the street.  They needed traffic control, some drivers felt so important that they circled the station and squeezed into the pump area in front of drivers that had been waiting longer.  I didn't see any fights but I'm sure a lot of angry words were exchanged. 

During the last 100 miles or so to Van Horn there was snow and ice along the shoulder of the highway. Gerri commented that there were many overturned semi's and smashed cars along the way still waiting to be towed away. I slept until the Van Horn exit.  Again cars were lined up out onto the streets waiting for fuel.  We went directly to the El Capitan Hotel and were checked in by 4.

In the room, I slept some more while Gerri caught up on computer stuff..  At 7 she woke me up to go to dinner.  The dining room was full.  When we asked to be seated we were told they were out of food. It seems that last night traffic was moving through because of the storm and many people were stranded.

The frozen fountain

We decided to try a steak house at the other end of town. There was an hour wait there.  We had passed Chuy's and saw that it was packed. We settled for Mc Donald's.  Disappointing because I had been looking forward to the house specialty at the El Capitan.  A pistachio crusted county fried steak. With my cold I guess it wouldn't have been what I expected. 

Back at the hotel the parking lot had pretty much filled up.  I guess it will be another busy night in Van Horn.

We were in bed by 11 with no plans for tomorrow except to see how far we get and hope for a vacancy.  Tucson is about half way, so we probably go at least that far

No comments:

Post a Comment