Following the Barkers

Following the Barkers

Thursday, March 13, 2014

Wednesday March 12, 2014, Las Vegas, NV

After going to bed late yesterday, I was awakened at 4:30 for a vitals check.  It was about 6:30 before I got back to sleep.

Gerri and a representative of the pacemaker manufacturer got to the room at about nine.  The rep checked out the functioning of the pacemaker and found it was working as designed.  A couple of the staff cardiologists came around and said I was ready for release as soon as they finished rounds and paperwork.  One of the cardiologists showed me graphs that had been made by my heart monitor both before and after the pacemaker was installed.

The hospitalist came by at about half past ten and said I was ready to go as soon as the paperwork was printed by the nurse.  We waited and at about 12:45 lunch was served.  They had not brought me any breakfast.  At 1:50 Gerri asked the nurse what the delay was.  She was told that a supervisor had to sign off my release and that supervisor was in a meeting.  We picked up our things and I told the nurse we were leaving no matter what the status of the paperwork.  That got some action as we walked down the hall.  Of course I didn't know the way out.  After that it only took about five minutes to get the paperwork ready for my signature.

We were headed out of town by 2:30.  We only made one stop and that was for gas in Tonopah.
Sunset just north of Beatty.
 We got home at about 9:30.










What was supposed to be a quick weekend trip turned into a six day ordeal.  I certainly hope that health-wise it was worth it.  Several people have asked me if I felt better after the pacemaker was implanted, I don't feel any different than what I have always considered normal.

I have follow-up appointments with my cardiologist before our cruise in April.

No comments:

Post a Comment